Bug 17497

Summary: mod_mime_magic generates incorrect response header
Product: Apache httpd-2 Reporter: ABE Hiroshi <hiro-abe>
Component: mod_mime_magicAssignee: Apache HTTPD Bugs Mailing List <bugs>
Status: REOPENED ---    
Severity: normal CC: makoto
Priority: P3    
Version: 2.0.44   
Target Milestone: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: All   
Attachments: patch to show the mod_mime_magic.c has a bug

Description ABE Hiroshi 2003-02-27 16:18:21 UTC
Apache-2.0.44 with mod_mime_magic generates incorrect responses for some files
in Japanese.
 The problem seems to happen when the requested file includes escape character
(Japanese files encoded in ISO-2022-JP always include it) and does not have any
extensions.

 The following procedure reproduces this problem:

 1. generate a file with escape character:
  % perl -e 'print "Nagoya, the 3rd largest city in Japan, is written as
\x1b\$BL>8E20\x1b(B in Japanese."' > file_with_escapes,
 2. copy it to somewhere accessible via Apache
 3. and request it through Apache with mod_mime_magic.


 When I tried the procedure above, I got

--- snip ----
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Apache/2.0.44 (Unix) DAV/2
Last-Modified: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:05:28 GMT
ETag: "92611-4e-319e00"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 78
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/plain ; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Encoding: (with
--- snip ---

as HTTP response.  I think the value of Content-Encoding header is wrong.


Regards,
 ABE Hiroshi
Comment 1 André Malo 2003-03-05 19:32:26 UTC
mod_mime_magic does more or less black magic, which is known not to work always
as desired ;-)

Sorry, it's the nature of mod_mime_magic to _guess_ the file type. So if the
guess is wrong, you have to change the magic file or, even better, configure the
filetype explicitely. So it's all in all a configuration problem, not a bug.

Thanks for using Apache.
Comment 2 ABE Hiroshi 2003-03-06 03:57:22 UTC
Created attachment 5175 [details]
patch to show the mod_mime_magic.c has a bug
Comment 3 ABE Hiroshi 2003-03-06 04:19:43 UTC
 I understand there are some case the mod_mime_magic does not work as I want to.

 But still, I think there is a bug in mod_mime_magic because I think the
Content-Encoding header may not have `` (with'' as its value in this case.

 To show this is bug, I tried the procedure in the first report with attached
patch.  Then I got

---- snip ----
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:36:07 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.44 (Unix) DAV/2
Last-Modified: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:15:04 GMT
ETag: "8f8ba-4e-415b7200"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 78
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/plain_(with_escape_sequences); charset=ISO-8859-1
---- snip ----

 The value of ``Content-Type'' header is slightly changed and there is no
``Content-Encoding'' header.  In my opinion, whitespaces in the header causes this.
Comment 4 Joe Orton 2005-02-25 17:16:53 UTC
*** Bug 33530 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***