Bug 26161 - Limits in use of <fmt: ... />-tags
Summary: Limits in use of <fmt: ... />-tags
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: Taglibs
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Standard Taglib (show other bugs)
Version: 1.0
Hardware: PC Windows XP
: P3 normal (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Tomcat Developers Mailing List
URL: http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?...
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2004-01-15 11:44 UTC by Jacob K. Hansen
Modified: 2004-11-16 19:05 UTC (History)
0 users



Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Jacob K. Hansen 2004-01-15 11:44:24 UTC
( First of all this problem/bug has been discussed on Java Technology Forums -
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=45&thread=481803 - submitted by me,
but with no solution found yet )

I'm wondering if anyone has made the same observation as I concerning the use of
<fmt:formatDate ... /> and <fmt:formatNumber ... />. I've been using the tags in
a lot of places on my website, but recently I had to make a big list consisting
of formatted dates and numbers - but everytime I exceed a certain amount of
<fmt: ... /> uses, the page fails to load. So I decided to make a testfile in
order to narrow the scope of possible causes. This is what I cam up with :

<c:forEach var="cnt" begin="1" end="248" varStatus="status">
<c:out value="${status.count}" /> - <fmt:formatNumber value="${123456.789}" /><br>
</c:forEach>

The above works perfectly, but if I change 248 into 249 or above, the "The page
cannot be displayed" appears. It seems that I am only allowed (?) to use the
<fmt: ... /> -tag about 250 times.

Is this an error on my side, a bug or something completely third?

For reference I am using JSTL 1.0 on JRun4 and Java vers. 1.4.2_01 - JRE
Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_01-b06)

Please take a look at the above link, since it explains some of the
observations, tests and weird results I've been getting. Especially the "fa0"
and headers are REALLY bug'ing me!
Comment 1 Pierre Delisle 2004-01-15 21:21:27 UTC
I've tried your simple test using the following combos:

   J2SE 1.4.2

   JSTL 1.0/Tomcat 4.1.24
   JSTL 1.1-B1/Tomcat 5.0.16

   Mozilla/IE.

I set the repeat count to 10,000

and everything worked fine. Why don't you give it a try with the same
combos as above and let us know what happens.

If I don't hear from you within a couple days, I'll close as
"WORKS FOR ME".
Comment 2 Jacob K. Hansen 2004-01-16 07:13:57 UTC
Sounds good!

I wouldn't call this problem I'm having "a bug", but I sincerly have no idea as 
what to do. I _have_ to use JRun4, I can possibly update Java (although I 
already use Java 1.4.2_01 and to be honest I don't know what version of JSTL 
I'm using. (How do I find out?)

I hope you, Pierre, will help me perhaps by giving some pointers or maybe allow 
me to email you or another proffesional sometime in the future?

/Jacob
Comment 3 Pierre Delisle 2004-01-16 18:04:13 UTC
> and to be honest I don't know what version of JSTL 
> I'm using. (How do I find out?)

Starting with standard 1.0.4 you can get the version of the 'standard'
taglib being used as follows:

    java -classpath <pathToStandardJarFile>/standard.jar
org.apache.taglibs.standard.Version

or within a JSP page as follows:

    <%= org.apache.taglibs.standard.Version.getVersion() %>


But to make things easier, just download the latest standard 1.0.x
and you'll know exactly what you're using.

Also even though you have to run on jrun4, make sure to test
your problem with Tomcat to try to isolate as much as possible
its source. If you can also make everything work with tomcat,
then it would definitely hint that there might be a problem with
jrun. And they'd be the ones to ask for help...