This Bugzilla instance is a read-only archive of historic NetBeans bug reports. To report a bug in NetBeans please follow the project's instructions for reporting issues.

Bug 254478

Summary: After running for a long time (24 hours?) Netbeans no longer displays line numbers
Product: editor Reporter: mickfrancis
Component: Painting & PrintingAssignee: Miloslav Metelka <mmetelka>
Status: NEW ---    
Severity: normal CC: st_erdogan
Priority: P3    
Version: 8.2   
Hardware: PC   
OS: Windows 7   
Issue Type: DEFECT Exception Reporter:
Attachments: IDE log
Image showing no line numbers

Description mickfrancis 2015-08-18 11:06:54 UTC
Product Version = NetBeans IDE 8.1 Beta (Build 201508041349)
Operating System = Windows 7 version 6.1 running on amd64
Java; VM; Vendor = 1.8.0_45
Runtime = Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.45-b02
Comment 1 mickfrancis 2015-08-18 11:07:01 UTC
Created attachment 155421 [details]
IDE log
Comment 2 Jiri Kovalsky 2015-08-18 11:26:10 UTC
Mick, can you reproduce it? I mean, if you restart NetBeans you see line numbers and next day they are gone even though "Show Line Numbers" is checked? Can you give us a screenshot?

And didn't you zoom editor content before the line numbers disappeared?
Comment 3 mickfrancis 2015-08-18 12:59:12 UTC
Hi Jiri,

This has happened many times, always when I come into work in the morning (I leave everything running overnight). I don't ever zoom the content.

I'll grab a screenshot tomorrow morning assuming it happens again.


Comment 4 mickfrancis 2015-08-21 08:14:50 UTC
Created attachment 155517 [details]
Image showing no line numbers

As promised, image showing issue.

In this case, the problem first showed up in a remote desktop session, then persisted on return to the machine. Not sure if this is always the case, but this is possible.
Comment 5 st_erdogan 2016-06-23 05:44:01 UTC
NetBeans shows several unexpected behaviors during/after remote desktop connection. Projects pane shows empty lines and line numbers in editor pane is gone. I guess the problem is not running overnight. It is a set of after-remote-desktop-problems.
Comment 6 mickfrancis 2016-06-23 08:33:02 UTC
Yes, it is definitely due to Remote Desktop - always happens when I use Remote Desktop, never when I don't.
Comment 7 qpower 2016-10-20 12:56:35 UTC
Any status on this?  The exact bug is also on Netbeans 8.2.  It happens only when remote desktop is involved and it only happens for tabs that's been viewed.  If I started up netbeans and have 10 tabs open, I click on, say, the first 5 to view the source code.  When I reconnected desktop with remote session, only the first 5 (the ones I've viewed), loss line number and other functionality.  The last 5 tabs are not affected.

Here are the three cases:

1.  If I started netbeans using normal desktop on computer 1, then (waited 5-10 minutes) I went to another computer (computer 2) and connected to computer 1 with remote desktop, the tabs of existing/viewed editor tab(s) do not show line numbers.  I cannot use find (ctrl-f).  There's a few other features don't work either.

2. If I started netbeans using remote desktop, then (waited 5-10 minutes) I logon using normal desktop, the bug occurs.

3. If I started netbeans using remote desktop, disconnect, (waited 5-10 minutes), and reconnect, the bug occurs. 

On one note, the Dracula theme doesn't have this problem.  However, Dracula theme will ignore files that won't compile and the build is good even though there are source files that won't compile.

I hope this helps!