This Bugzilla instance is a read-only archive of historic NetBeans bug reports. To report a bug in NetBeans please follow the project's instructions for reporting issues.

Bug 262668

Summary: Scrambled characters in output on Windows with NPM output
Product: projects Reporter: labate
Component: MavenAssignee: Tomas Stupka <tstupka>
Status: REOPENED ---    
Severity: normal CC: tmysik
Priority: P3    
Version: 8.1   
Hardware: PC   
OS: Windows 7   
Issue Type: DEFECT Exception Reporter:
Attachments: IDE log
Simple projects to reproduce the issue

Description labate 2016-07-04 09:13:06 UTC
Product Version = NetBeans IDE 8.1 (Build 201510222201)
Operating System = Windows 7 version 6.1 running on amd64
Java; VM; Vendor = 1.8.0_92
Runtime = Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.92-b14

Reproducibility: Happens every time

When building a project with NPM output, NetBeans displays scrambled characters in output window.
Example:

...
--- frontend-maven-plugin:0.0.19:install-node-and-npm (install-node-npm) @ webdav-demo-webapp ---
Node v0.10.35 is already installed.
Found NPM version 2.8.3

--- frontend-maven-plugin:0.0.19:npm (npm-install) @ webdav-demo-webapp ---
Running 'npm install --unsafe-perm --color=false' in C:\dev\WebDAV\webdav-demo-webapp\target

> webdav-demo-webapp@1.2.0-SNAPSHOT postinstall C:\dev\WebDAV\webdav-demo-webapp\target
> bower install --allow-root

bower xcomponent-widgets#*        copy C:\dev\WebDAV\webdav-demo-webapp\target\bower_components\xcomponent-widgets
bower xcomponent-widgets#*    resolved C:\dev\WebDAV\webdav-demo-webapp\target\bower_components\xcomponent-widgets
bower bootstrap-switch extra-resolution Unnecessary resolution: bootstrap-switch#2.0.0
bower ng-file-upload   extra-resolution Unnecessary resolution: ng-file-upload#6.0.0
bower xcomponent-widgets#*      install xcomponent-widgets

xcomponent-widgets#1.00.31.00-SNAPSHOT bower_components\xcomponent-widgets
├── angular#1.2.15
├── angular-adaptive-detection#0.4.1
├── angular-animate#1.2.15
├── angular-bindonce#0.3.1
├── angular-bootstrap#0.11.2
├── angular-carousel#0.2.5
├── angular-dragdrop#1.0.13
├── angular-filter#0.5.4
├── angular-once#0.1.9
├── angular-sanitize#1.5.5
├── angular-strap#2.1.6
├── angular-tablesort#1.1.2
├── angular-ui-tree#2.15.0
├── iscroll#5.1.3
├── jquery#1.11.3
├── jquery-ui#1.11.4
├── jqueryui-touch-punch#4bc0091452
├── lrInfiniteScroll#1.0.0
├── moment#2.7.0
├── ng-file-upload#6.0.0
├── ng-img-crop#0.3.2
├── ngInfiniteScroll#1.1.2
├── ocLazyLoad#0.5.2
├── quick-ng-repeat#0.0.1
├── tinycolor#1.0.0
└── xcomponent#e-tag:6897fe9814
...

Similar than Bug 248981 and Bug 245545
Comment 1 labate 2016-07-04 09:13:12 UTC
Created attachment 160245 [details]
IDE log
Comment 2 Tomas Mysik 2016-07-11 07:33:40 UTC
Perhaps Output window issue? Please evaluate, thanks.
Comment 3 Tomas Mysik 2016-07-11 07:35:36 UTC
Reassigning back, perhaps proper charset is not set (like in issue #245545).

Thanks for reporting.
Comment 4 Tomas Mysik 2016-07-19 15:09:29 UTC
Strange, the charset seems to be set properly everywhere. Moreover, I just tried to reproduce this issue in NB 8.1 on Windows 7 with NetBeans Messages sample and it works for me.

Could you please try the dev version of NetBeans [1]? Also, please attach a sample project and provide exact steps to reproduce.

Simply reopen this issue, thanks.
[1] http://bits.netbeans.org/download/trunk/nightly/latest/
Comment 5 labate 2016-07-26 07:33:12 UTC
As suggested, I used the dev version of NetBeans. But unfortunately, the scrambled characters were still there.

So we prepared a simple project that reproduce the issue. I will attach it soon.

The steps are:
 - build the project

We have removed any company dependencies and artifactory settings.

At some point near the end of the build, you should see scrambled characters, like below:

├── angular-dragdrop#1.0.13 
├── angular-filter#0.5.4 
├── angular-once#0.1.9 
├── angular-sanitize#1.5.5 
├── angular-strap#2.1.6 
├── angular-tablesort#1.1.2
Comment 6 labate 2016-07-26 07:35:04 UTC
Created attachment 161442 [details]
Simple projects to reproduce the issue

See my previous message.
Comment 7 Tomas Mysik 2016-07-26 07:53:19 UTC
Perfect! Will have a look at this issue ASAP. Thanks for your cooperation.
Comment 8 Tomas Mysik 2016-07-26 08:36:34 UTC
I think I see the cause - it is a Maven project so Maven support runs the build task without UTF-8 charset set (I have tested HTML5 project which works OK for me). Will verify it and possibly reassign.

Thanks.
Comment 9 Tomas Mysik 2016-07-26 09:30:08 UTC
(In reply to Tomas Mysik from comment #8)
> I think I see the cause - it is a Maven project so Maven support runs the
> build task without UTF-8 charset set (I have tested HTML5 project which
> works OK for me). Will verify it and possibly reassign.

I just verified that, reassigning to Maven, please evaluate. Thanks.

Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201607260002)
Java: 1.8.0_102; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.102-b14
Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_102-b14
System: Windows 7 version 6.1 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_US (nb)