This Bugzilla instance is a read-only archive of historic NetBeans bug reports. To report a bug in NetBeans please follow the project's instructions for reporting issues.

Bug 118008 - Changing File Name Case Causes CVS Problems
Summary: Changing File Name Case Causes CVS Problems
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: versioncontrol
Classification: Unclassified
Component: CVS (show other bugs)
Version: 8.1
Hardware: All All
: P3 blocker (vote)
Assignee: issues@versioncontrol
Depends on:
Reported: 2007-10-06 18:47 UTC by telespalla_filone
Modified: 2016-01-28 19:46 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Exception Reporter:

Commit Error (18.69 KB, image/jpeg)
2007-10-06 18:50 UTC, telespalla_filone
VCS case change error (81.20 KB, image/png)
2016-01-28 00:44 UTC, phpguru

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description telespalla_filone 2007-10-06 18:47:55 UTC
Using NB 6.0 build 200710020000 on Win XP and CVS (CVSNT 2.5.03 B2382) when you try to rename a source file changing
only the case, CVS behave in a wrong manner.
To produce the problem I followed the steps below:

- I renamed a file from i.e to using NB refactoring tool
(the CVS panel showed only marked as locally deleted)

- I tried to execute “commit all” and I got the error shown in the attached image

- Then I executed a "refresh status" and in the CVS panel I saw only locally modified

- I committed all

- I simply changed the source inside

- I performed a clean and build

- At that point the CVS panel showed locally modified so I executed a "commit all"

- A refresh status, without doing anything else got as result remotely modified

to change source and commit changes I had to follow and repeat the sequence

edit the file
refresh status

As Travis Risner explained, this isn't due to a NB's bug but, as suggested by Fabrizio Giudici, the IDE should manage
the case to avoid messy repository states.
Comment 1 telespalla_filone 2007-10-06 18:50:12 UTC
Created attachment 50308 [details]
Commit Error
Comment 2 phpguru 2016-01-28 00:41:08 UTC
Confirmed this happens with NetBeans 8.1, Mac OS X, Mercurial as well.

Created a file, Flightplan_DPA.xml
Renamed the file to Flightplan_Dpa.xml

Netbeans is showing Flightplan_DPA.xml is new (the file no longer exists)
hg on the command line shows Flightplan_Dpa.xml is new.

Version Control module should correctly list Flightplan_Dpa.xml as a new file to be added to version control.
Comment 3 phpguru 2016-01-28 00:44:26 UTC
Created attachment 158257 [details]
VCS case change error

Screenshot of VCS module case change issue, created with Mac OS X and Mercurial, NetBeans 8.1
Comment 4 phpguru 2016-01-28 00:53:07 UTC
Confirmed Workaround: 

- Commit everything via command line, or command/ctrl click on only the correct files in NetBeans, and perform a commit leaving out the incorrect case file shown as new.

- Then restart netbeans

(The problem only exists in NetBeans memory)

I suspect this bug affects ALL hardware, ALL platforms, ALL VCS systems, on which NetBeans can run on a case sensitive filesystem.
Comment 5 Ondrej Vrabec 2016-01-28 08:03:08 UTC
This bug was filed against CVS, not Mercurial, do not switch categories deliberately.
Comment 6 Ondrej Vrabec 2016-01-28 08:04:25 UTC
BTW, your problem with Mercurial is this one probably: bug 219782.
Comment 7 phpguru 2016-01-28 19:19:50 UTC
 > This bug was filed against CVS, not Mercurial, 
> do not switch categories deliberately.

Sorry about that. This bug was also filed in 2007 for NetBeans version 6. 

> BTW, your problem with Mercurial is this one probably: bug 219782.

No, actually it's not. I didn't commit, nor did I use refactor->rename, though the commit fails if you try it with the incorrect case filename because obviously the file shown by NetBeans does not exist in the filesystem.

Please note, as I mentioned, I believe this bug to be present for all version control implemented by NetBeans, since at least version 6, nine years now. 

There is no "ALL" option in the Product: Versioncontrol Component: dropdown. If there were, I believe it would be correct. I have been able to replicate this bug on a case sensitive filesystem with Netbeans using Subversion, Git and Mercurial (and, with the OP's filing for CVS, that tends to imply all VCS are affected)
Comment 8 Ondrej Vrabec 2016-01-28 19:46:38 UTC
Then file a fresh new bug against Versioncontrol/Code, but do not touch CVS issues, since these are prehistoric bugs, the cause is for 99% a different one.