Issue 113708

Summary: can't update from Hebrew 3.1 to English 3.2.1
Product: Installation Reporter: ilantal <ilan.tal>
Component: codeAssignee: AOO issues mailing list <issues>
Status: UNCONFIRMED --- QA Contact:
Severity: Trivial    
Priority: P3 CC: issues, kaplanlior
Version: current   
Target Milestone: ---   
Hardware: PC (x86_64)   
OS: Windows XP   
Issue Type: DEFECT Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---
Attachments:
Description Flags
screen shot none

Description ilantal 2010-08-06 14:59:42 UTC
A friend of mine reported to me problems he was having with English 3.2.1. I was
running Hebrew 3.1 and I told him I would look at it on my XP system. From the
Control Panel I uninstalled 3.1 and proceeded to install 3.2.1.
The computer went into an endless loop using 100% CPU with unopkg.bin. I had to
kill the process. Then I did a Remove, which worked. I tried again and it got
stuck again. Again I killed the process and did another Remove, which again worked.
Since OO is very important to me, and 3.2.1 isn't terribly important, I returned
to Hebrew 3.1. That is up and running.
It seems to me that this is reproducible. The Hebrew 3.1 seems to have put
something in the registry which is killing the update.
Thanks,
Ilan
Comment 1 kaplanlior 2010-08-15 00:54:04 UTC
By "Hebrew 3.1" do you mean the installatiaon from openoffice.org.il ?
Comment 2 ilantal 2010-08-15 05:07:41 UTC
That is certainly one place to find it.
To be accurate it is: OOo_3.1.1_he_install_win32_091014.exe.
If there was a way to completely clean the registry from this install, it would
probably work.
Comment 3 ilantal 2010-08-15 09:39:54 UTC
Created attachment 71117 [details]
screen shot
Comment 4 ilantal 2010-08-15 09:41:04 UTC
I find something strange in my application data.
There seem to be 2 entries for open office.
I will attach a screen shot.
Maybe this is the problem?
Which one is correct?
Comment 5 kaplanlior 2010-08-17 17:42:59 UTC
I tried to check with TK systems, and they don't support such an upgrade. I
suggest the you'll delete both entries and try to install the newer version again.
Comment 6 ilantal 2010-08-18 05:55:21 UTC
I am taking your suggestion because I really DO want to upgrade.
The bug part of this issue is that the Hebrew install leaves some unknown mess
around which PREVENTS installing the English version. I didn't do an upgrade
from Hebrew 3.1 to English 3.2, but rather I uninstalled the Hebrew version and
then attempted to install the English version. This failed, and did so consistently.

Now I have done regedit, searched for all keys with openoffice, and deleted all
of them. After that I search drive c: for any other openoffice entries and
deleted all of them as well. Now I am downloading a fresh copy of English 3.2.1
and HOPE that it will work.

This is something beyond most users, and it shows a bug. I will let you know if
the English version succeeds. Hopefully, if I removed all traces of previous
versions, it will.
Comment 7 ilantal 2010-08-18 07:05:06 UTC
Just to update you, after cleaning with the registry editor and deleting
everything found from a disk search, the install worked.
So this is one work around for the bug, wherever it is.
The most important thing is that I am up and running and this time with English
3.2.1 (with Hebrew dictionary support added).
Comment 8 Marcus 2017-05-20 11:33:28 UTC
Reset assigne to the default "issues@openoffice.apache.org".