Issue 121222

Summary: [ORB] reports containing charts do not open in AOOo 3.4.1 anymore - "Failed to parse the report"
Product: Base Reporter: Frank Schönheit <frank.schoenheit>
Component: codeAssignee: AOO issues mailing list <issues>
Status: CONFIRMED --- QA Contact:
Severity: Major    
Priority: P3 CC: awf.aoo
Version: 3.4.1Keywords: regression
Target Milestone: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: All   
See Also: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48056
Issue Type: DEFECT Latest Confirmation in: 4.0.1
Developer Difficulty: ---
Attachments:
Description Flags
document to reproduce the bug case none

Description Frank Schönheit 2012-10-15 19:31:30 UTC
Created attachment 79782 [details]
document to reproduce the bug case

database reports, based on the Oracle Report Builder extension, containing charts, cannot be opened in OOo 3.4.1.

*steps to reproduce*
- make sure you have a working Java installation configured in your AOOo
- make sure you have the Oracle Report Builder extension installed (at the
  moment of this writing, the latest available version is 1.2.1, from
  http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/de/project/reportdesign)
- open the attached database document
- switch to the "Reports" section on the left hand side
- double-click the contained report to execute it


expected behavior:
- the report is executed, a text document containing a chart is opened

actual behavior:
- an error message pops up, saying something 'about an failure to parse
  the report


*Notes*
1. The report can well be opened in design mode, but upon executing it from
   the designer, the same error pops up.
2. The report can well be opened in OOo 3.3.0, with the very same configured
   Java version, the very same ORB version installed, on the very same
   machine


=> adding regression keyword
=> setting Severity to "major", since this renders *all* database reports
   containing charts *completely* unusable.
Comment 1 Frank Schönheit 2012-10-15 19:48:24 UTC
Note: For some reason I do not date to think about, the very same bug occurres in LibreOffice 3.5.x and 3.6.x, over there, it is tracked under https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48056.
Comment 2 Frank Schönheit 2013-10-10 08:26:19 UTC
There was a time when the OOo project cared about bugs flagged as "regression", and cared about thing like "Oh, a complete functional area is broken" (in this case, it's "reporting in database documents", but hey, who uses databases or reports?), but seemingly, this somehow got lost. Very sad indeed.
Comment 3 Frank Schönheit 2013-10-10 08:27:17 UTC
btw: confirmed on latest 4.0.1.
Comment 4 Andre 2014-02-18 10:50:53 UTC
Re comment2: We do care but somehow we ran out of database developers.

I installed the report build extension from the repository and can reproduce the problem.  For debugging I would have to build the report builder from source but configure.in lists a crazy set of prerequisites:
sac, libxml, flute, jfreereport, liblayout, libloader, libformula, librepository, libfonts, libserializer, libbase.
Thats 11 java libraries just to build one extension.  And there is no word in configure.in about where to get these libraries from.  Maybe the Wiki has some information.