Apache OpenOffice (AOO) Bugzilla – Full Text Issue Listing
|Summary:||fail to format cells on columns with intermixed datatypes.|
|Component:||code||Assignee:||AOO issues mailing list <issues>|
|Status:||CONFIRMED ---||QA Contact:|
|Issue Type:||ENHANCEMENT||Latest Confirmation in:||---|
Description Unknown 2003-05-22 21:10:43 UTC
This is a design flaw in setting the cell datatype on columns of intermixed datatypes. Example: A column name 'product code' containing entries of numeric and alphanumeric data. When using the format cell option to format "numeric" data to "text" format these changes do not actually hold. This causes problems when attempting to import the spreadsheet data into a relational database table, where fields/columns can not contain intermixed datatypes. This is a design flaw which is present in MS Excel applications as well, however MS Excel does let you set the datatypes on the individual cells. The Open Office Spreadsheet application does not. I have published an article which covers the problem with intermixed data at http://www.idude.net/ASP/articles/using_excel_file_datasources.asp To correct this problem, a user should be able to select a column (parent), and select a datatype apply to 'all' the cells (children) of the column. From experience in dealing with intermixed data, some types of information such as 'product codes' contain intermixed datatypes. A value of "13004" in a cell can indeed be valid "text" data. There are a great number of people which are frustrated by how difficult it is to import Spreadsheet into Relational Databases.
Comment 1 frank 2003-05-23 12:24:22 UTC
Hi, this is not a bug but an Request for enhancement, so I set the flags. As a workaround (only possible for versions greater 1.1 Beta): Select the cells you want as text, choose format cells and the format option text. Open the Search & Replace dialog and put a dot '.' into the search field, a '&' at the replace field and tag the checkboxes for regular expressions and in selection only. Press Enter and all values are converted to text now. As the regular expressions are implemented from OOo1.1Beta2 this will only work with versions greater OOo1.1 Beta. Best regards Frank
Comment 2 frank 2003-05-23 12:24:48 UTC
Hi Bettina, 1 4 u Frank
Comment 3 ace_dent 2008-05-16 02:39:11 UTC
OpenOffice.org Issue Tracker - Feedback Request. The Issue you raised has the status 'New' pending further action, but has not been updated within the last 4 years. Please consider re-testing with one of the latest versions of OOo, as the problem(s) may have already been addressed. Either use the recent stable version: http://download.openoffice.org/index.html or consider trying the new OOo 3 BETA (still in testing): http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/ Please report back the outcome so this Issue may be Closed or Progressed as necessary - otherwise it may be Resolved as Invalid in the future. You may also wish to search for (and note) any duplicates of this Issue that may have advanced further by checking the Issue Tracker: http://www.openoffice.org/issues/query.cgi Many thanks, Andrew Cleaning-up and Closing old Issues as part of: ~ The Grand Bug Squash, pre v3 ~ http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/announcementbeta.html
Comment 4 bettina.haberer 2010-05-21 14:41:03 UTC
To grep the issues easier via "requirements" I put the issues currently lying on my owner to the owner "requirements".