Apache OpenOffice (AOO) Bugzilla – Full Text Issue Listing
|Summary:||Cannot detect Bengali character typing automatically.|
|Component:||bn||Assignee:||AOO issues mailing list <issues>|
|Status:||CONFIRMED ---||QA Contact:|
|Priority:||P3||CC:||issues, issues, omi|
|Issue Type:||DEFECT||Latest Confirmation in:||---|
|Issue Depends on:||45064|
Description jamil 2005-03-15 05:21:27 UTC
After starting OOo writer if I change my keyboard layout to Unicode Bengali [U-0980 to U-09FF] and start typing, it selects TAHOMA font automatically and cannot render Bengali characters at all. It cannot detect the installed Bengali font automatically.
Comment 1 jamil 2005-03-22 13:35:27 UTC
Same problem occurs on Linux platform too. I checked on Fedora Core 3.
Comment 2 sankarshan.mukhopadhyay 2005-03-22 13:39:28 UTC
Kindly put in more details on the above.
Comment 3 omiazad 2005-03-22 18:36:48 UTC
Well, the problem is when we switch layout (to Bangla) and start typing Bangla, OO doesn't change the font to any installed Bangla font. It just shows boxes. But a good news is when we manually select a Bangla font and after typing Bangla when we switch layout back to English, then it can detect the last used English font and again when we switch layout to Bangla, it can remember the last selected Bangla font and presents Bangla look. The big problem is although we have selected a Bangla font, but when we type Danda or Double Danda, those characters comes from the default Devanagari font. In Windows Mangal is the default Devanagari font (also the UI font). So the Danda/Double Danda comes from Devanagari font. It doesn't comes from the font I have selected for Bangla. So that is the main problem. I tried to explain some problems here:http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=45064 Also there is not Bangla locale in Language settings. So this is very sad.
Comment 4 jamil 2005-08-27 10:38:09 UTC
I guess this bug is related to #53006
Comment 5 ddipankardas 2005-09-21 12:59:06 UTC
The problem of Bangla font characters displayed as square boxes, reported by Omi Azad, becomes more devastating when typing some Bangla text within the "Draw" window, as and when we need any diagram within the text. In fact the only solution becomes blind typing a few characters and then selecting them all and changing them again from Tahoma to Solaiman Lipi or so, though you made it so in the very start. This font issue becomes more problemsome with FC3. I don't know what happens with FC4, have not seen one, but, a text written with Solaiman Lipi, BN Bidisha, or Sutonny OMJ, with text alignment "justified", becomes paras with zagged right border in OOo 2 Beta in FC3. Though the display remains normal in Ubuntu 504 or SuSE 92. This problem does not happen in FC3 if the font is Lohit. Another thing happens in FC3 about inter-character spaces, specially when using some symbols. Like a text string in Bangla, 'shabda/chhabi/dharana' becomes a pulp of the '/' and the Bangla characters. Another very sad thing is faulty representation when exporting to a PDF. The page-numbers showing in Bangla in the *.odt, *.sxw, or even *.rtf or *.doc files become page-numbers in roman numerals in the pdf. Though i have not tried it in Acroread or Evince. This is just Xpdf experience.
Comment 6 omiazad 2005-09-22 08:59:49 UTC
> This font issue becomes more problemsome with FC3. I don't know what happens > with FC4, have not seen one, but, a text written with Solaiman Lipi, BN > Bidisha, or Sutonny OMJ, with text alignment "justified", becomes paras with > zagged right border in OOo 2 Beta in FC3. Though the display remains normal in > Ubuntu 504 or SuSE 92. This problem does not happen in FC3 if the font is Lohit. I could not make this problem. It's working fine on my Windows box. Can you please supply some screen shorts? >Another thing happens in FC3 about inter-character spaces, specially when using >some symbols. Like a text string in Bangla, 'shabda/chhabi/dharana' becomes a >pulp of the '/' and the Bangla characters. > I didn't get this point. Can you please explain how can I re-make the problem? Regards -- Omi Azad Contributor Bangla Computing and Localization Projects: Ankur: http://www.ankurbangla.org Ekushey: http://www.ekushey.org
Comment 7 lists 2005-12-03 01:46:15 UTC
All these problems should be sold when Bengali is the locales, considered as CTL (probably both already), is in VCL.xcu and in has a font in the glyph fallback list. Then by default characters will be looked for in the present font. Only when they are not found there, glyph fallback will be activated. For more information: http://www.khmeros.info/tools The danda problem probably comes from the fact that Bengali has no dandas in its encoding, the danda code-points are shared by all scripts... and they are in the devanagari block of characters. If glyph fallback is activated (the glyph is not found in the present or in the CTL default font), it will automatically go to the first font that has the code-point and that is in the list of glyph fall-back fonts... and it will probably be a devanagari font. This is a UNICODE problem, which has been discussed at length... but I do not think that they concluded that dandas should be added to all scripts.