Apache OpenOffice (AOO) Bugzilla – Full Text Issue Listing
|Summary:||print options orientation doesn't change printer props until after printing once|
|Component:||printing||Assignee:||AOO issues mailing list <issues>|
|Status:||CONFIRMED ---||QA Contact:|
|Issue Type:||DEFECT||Latest Confirmation in:||---|
Description bulbul 2005-03-22 19:04:45 UTC
If you use Print Preview to print 2-to-a-page for the first time on a document. The orientation change (from portrait to landscape) does not take effect until after you try to print. This is better described in a step-by-step fashion. To duplicate the problem, follow these steps: 1. Open a new Writer document. 2. Type some text in it, making it two pages long. 3. Open the Print Preview dialog. 4. Click on the "print options page view" icon. 5. Under format, change from portrait to landscape and click "OK". 6. Click on the "print page view" icon, and then click "OK". 7. The document will print in portrait format rather than landscape. 8. Print the document again (repeating step 6). 9. The document now prints correctly in landscape format. This has been around for as long as i have i have been testing these pre-2.0 builds, which is about two months. Very annoying!
Comment 1 michael.ruess 2005-03-29 08:01:24 UTC
Reassigned to HI.
Comment 2 h.ilter 2005-04-01 10:17:09 UTC
I've printed with generic printer to ps file = Worksforme.
Comment 3 h.ilter 2005-04-01 10:17:28 UTC
Comment 4 bulbul 2005-04-03 07:22:17 UTC
Reopening. I have run through my steps to the letter and am still able to reproduce this. I do recall the problem not showing up once when i expected it to. So, when i saw that the bug couldn't be reproduced, i experimented a little. I found that i can only reproduce the bug if i have not performed any previous print operations (on any document) in the current OOo session. So, to try to reproduce the bug, you should be sure to close OOo and start it up again fresh. This may (or may not) have something to do with another oddity i have noticed. The first time i open up a either the print options or print dialog, the printer selected is "generic printer", but if i cancel or printer, the next time i do the same thing, the "generic printer" option is gone, and instead i have the real name of the default printer. (And the "generic printer" printer is no longer even in the list of printers.)
Comment 5 bulbul 2005-04-03 07:24:31 UTC
I should mention that i'm reporting for OOo 680m87, on Mandrake LInux 10.2, under KDE with CUPS.
Comment 6 h.ilter 2005-04-04 10:32:23 UTC
HI->JA: Please take over. Thx.
Comment 7 bulbul 2005-04-26 19:43:04 UTC
Problem still here in 1.9.95. It seems as if i just had this occur even though i had already printed once in this session. I'm not sure, though.
Comment 8 Joost Andrae 2005-04-29 14:21:09 UTC
JA->PL: please take a look at this. As discussed the race condition with the printer detection has already been fixed. Perhaps it's CUPS related.
Comment 9 Joost Andrae 2005-04-29 14:22:03 UTC
JA->PL reassigned to you and set to 2.01
Comment 10 bulbul 2005-04-29 17:25:11 UTC
Another situation in which this bug arises is when i take a document which has a print preview setting saved in it, which i have used to print on one machine, then i try to print that document again on another system that doesn't have access to the same printers. Even though when i open up print preview on this second machine the previous two-to-a-page settings are there, on first try the pages are printed with portrait orientation rather than landscape.
Comment 11 bulbul 2005-04-29 17:28:11 UTC
Although i can't comment on whether this is a CUPS problem, i can confirm that i am using CUPS on both machines i use. Adding the keyword "regression" that i forgot to put in when i filed the bug. I do not have this problem at all in OOo 1.1.x.
Comment 12 philipp.lohmann 2005-05-24 13:51:14 UTC
set target due to limited resources
Comment 13 philipp.lohmann 2005-08-09 14:34:10 UTC
Not a CUPS issue, in fact happens in Windows, also. Also happens in 1.1, so i'll remove the regression keyword. This seems to be a problem of the page preview itself. bulbul: if you could remember which 1.1.x version did not have the problem, we should add the keyword again