Issue 51233

Summary: Cannot open unicode or some high ASCII filename from Explorer
Product: General Reporter: aehrlich <aleks.ehrlich>
Component: codeAssignee: hennes.rohling
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE QA Contact: issues@framework <issues>
Severity: Trivial    
Priority: P4 CC: issues
Version: OOo 2.0 Beta   
Target Milestone: AOO Later   
Hardware: All   
OS: Windows XP   
Issue Type: DEFECT Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---
Issue Depends on: 59251    
Issue Blocks:    
Attachments:
Description Flags
screenshot none

Description aehrlich 2005-06-26 17:36:07 UTC
Trying to open a file with umlauts in the filename (where machine default
charset is cyrillic, so not supporting umlauts in ANSI codepage) fails with
message "<corrupted_file_name> does not exist.". The <corrupted_filename> shown
in the OpenOffice error dialog looks as "converted to ANSI" with improper
codepage, see attachment (look at the "o umlaut" in the filename in word Robin
and no umlaut in the dialog).
Opening the same file from OpenOffice via File|Open succeeds.
Opening a file with high ASCII chars contained in system ASCII page (cyrillic in
my case) via Explorer succeeds, too.
Maybe realated is issue 43835.
Comment 1 aehrlich 2005-06-26 17:37:35 UTC
Created attachment 27499 [details]
screenshot
Comment 2 aehrlich 2005-06-26 17:38:59 UTC
The problem manifests itself at least in builds 95 and 109.
Comment 3 thorsten.martens 2005-06-30 09:50:09 UTC
TM->HRO: Please have a look. I don´t know if this is really an office problem or
if it is more system related.
Comment 4 hennes.rohling 2005-07-01 08:41:17 UTC
This is a known issue.
Comment 5 aehrlich 2005-07-01 08:52:40 UTC
I strongly disagree with P4, it's either P3 or P2; the same about OOo Later. How
do you imagine yourself explaining customers that "no, you cannot open these
files in Windows Explorer anymore with this 'more MS Office compatible'
OpenOffice"? It's a regression as opening such files IS working in OOo 1.1,
after all.

P.S. To reproduce in Western European environment add a Greek or Cyrillic (or
Hebrew, Chinese, ...) character to a file name.
Comment 6 iaf 2005-09-27 15:41:20 UTC
I opened a similar issue (43835) regarding a problem opening files which had
extended (accented) characters in the filenames.  The files were sent to me as
attachments via email and I determined that some component along the way (the
sender's client or an smtp gateway) appended space(s) to the filenames.  When I
tried to open these files using OOo 2 beta from within my email clients, I
received a 'file open error'.  However, OOo 1.x was able to open the same files
no problem using the same email clients.  I figure that OOo 1.x truncates (or
ignores) trailing spaces in filenames before trying to open whilst OOo 2 beta
does not.  OOo 2 beta was able to open the attachments once I saved them without
 trailing spaces in the filename.
Comment 7 aehrlich 2006-06-30 15:59:13 UTC
Duplicate of 59251.
Comment 8 Michael Osipov 2006-08-12 13:57:34 UTC
I'd agree to ährlich, close as dupe please
Comment 9 hennes.rohling 2007-05-07 13:12:31 UTC
Duplicate

*** This issue has been marked as a duplicate of 59251 ***
Comment 10 hennes.rohling 2007-05-07 13:12:58 UTC
Closed