Issue 61485

Summary: Hebrew pointing not displayed right in XP
Product: Impress Reporter: vpoythress <vpoythress1>
Component: viewingAssignee: AOO issues mailing list <issues>
Status: CONFIRMED --- QA Contact:
Severity: Trivial    
Priority: P3 CC: issues
Version: OOo 2.0.1   
Target Milestone: ---   
Hardware: PC   
OS: Linux, all   
Issue Type: DEFECT Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---
Attachments:
Description Flags
Hebrew not displayed correctly on Windows XP
none
Hebrew not displayed correctly on Windows XP
none
Exported from OO 2.0.1 on FC4. This looks as it should.
none
From HebOnFC.odt, exported by OO 2.0.1 on FC4. This looks right.
none
Screenshot of HebOnFC.odp on OO 2.0.1 on FC4.
none
screenshot of HebOnFC.odt on OO 2.0.1 on FC4. none

Description vpoythress 2006-02-01 16:30:18 UTC
I have both .odt files and .odp files that display Hebrew pointing correctly in
linux (Fedora Core 4, running OO 2.0.1.1-5.1), but not in Windows XP (running OO
2.0.154 and the stable 2.0.1, both of which I have checked). Moreover, when I
first entered the characters for waw-shewa-he-holem-waw-qamets-he (the first
line) in Windows XP, it displayed with a gap.  Then I changed View to 200% and
it displayed correctly.  Then I returned to View Page-Width, and it displayed
correctly.

I will the attach the files.  They use SBL Hebrew font, of which my version is
11-11-2005. I'll try to send a copy of this font too, as an attachment.
Comment 1 vpoythress 2006-02-01 16:31:31 UTC
Created attachment 33765 [details]
Hebrew not displayed correctly on Windows XP
Comment 2 vpoythress 2006-02-01 16:32:12 UTC
Created attachment 33766 [details]
Hebrew not displayed correctly on Windows XP
Comment 3 wolframgarten 2006-02-02 08:49:54 UTC
Can you attach a screenshot of how it should look like? If this is happening in
writer, too, thi seems not to be an impress only problem.
Comment 4 vpoythress 2006-02-03 17:43:04 UTC
Created attachment 33822 [details]
Exported from OO 2.0.1 on FC4.  This looks as it should.
Comment 5 vpoythress 2006-02-03 17:44:09 UTC
Created attachment 33823 [details]
From HebOnFC.odt, exported by OO 2.0.1 on FC4. This looks right.
Comment 6 vpoythress 2006-02-03 18:02:45 UTC
I have worked with quite a bit of pointed Hebrew text on OO 2.0.1.  In general,
OO 2.0.1 running on top of FC4 gets it right, and when exporting to .pdf exports
it correctly.  On the other hand, the same .odp and .odt files displayed within
OO 2.0.1 running on Windows XP or Windows 2000 get odd problems occasionally.
.odp sometimes displays problems even when .odt does not.  Windows 2000 gets
many problems, so I have basically ignored it. Both XP and 2000 will display
_unpointed Hebrew_ correctly (characters in the range U+05D0 to U+05EA). These
characters are usually all that are used in modern Israeli Hebrew.  But when I
add the pointing (because the horizontal offsets from the previous character
lead to overlapping horizontal positions) it may lead to problems.  (Pointing is
roughly the characters U+05B0 to U+05BC.)  Most of these problems are now cured,
both in linux and Windows XP.  But when I combine a pointing glyph with a
cantilation glyph (basically U+0591 to U+05AF), both of which have special
horizontal offsets, then we get problems in XP on occasion. I have also
generated problems with U+FB3B and other unicode characters in the range U+FB2A
to U+FB4B when I insert them as the first (right-most) character in a whole line
of text. I have tried to isolate the problems in the special files that have
been attached to this issue 61485.
Comment 7 vpoythress 2006-02-03 18:13:23 UTC
Created attachment 33824 [details]
Screenshot of HebOnFC.odp on OO 2.0.1 on FC4.
Comment 8 vpoythress 2006-02-03 18:16:50 UTC
Created attachment 33825 [details]
screenshot of HebOnFC.odt on OO 2.0.1 on FC4.
Comment 9 wolframgarten 2006-02-08 11:53:40 UTC
Reassigned.
Comment 10 christian.guenther 2006-02-08 16:56:41 UTC
Set to new and change the target.
Comment 11 christian.guenther 2006-02-08 17:05:47 UTC
I can reproduce the bug.
Please have a look.
Comment 12 Marcus 2017-05-20 11:08:31 UTC
Reset assigne to the default "issues@openoffice.apache.org".