Issue 65401

Summary: Picture not sticking to their place when placed in tables
Product: Writer Reporter: timmayle <max-lists>
Component: editingAssignee: AOO issues mailing list <issues>
Status: CONFIRMED --- QA Contact:
Severity: Trivial    
Priority: P3 CC: issues
Version: OOo 2.0.2   
Target Milestone: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: All   
Issue Type: DEFECT Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---
Attachments:
Description Flags
Created a bigdoc that reproduces the problem none

Description timmayle 2006-05-15 15:46:53 UTC
Bug encountered on the following systems:
Openoffice: 2.0.2
Windows XP Pro SP2
&
Openoffice: 2.0.2
Linux / Gentoo, Binary package

Description:
I've made a Writer document structured with tables (not OLE objects). Tables are
2 columns wide: one for titles, the second for text and pictures.
I've got a few objects in it, some PNG, EPS and some Calc. The document is 20
pages long.

Problem:
When I'm happy with the appearence and content of the file, I save it, close it
and reoppen it later. Then I see that some objects have moved. they sometime go
to the next or previous page despite many attempt of different anchoring.

I frequently have to wait 10 seconds that the object repositionning stop before
beeing able to edit my file (screen blinking, pictures moving, ...). I also have
to replace the moved object to their correct location.
Last times I opened my file, it made OO go 100% CPU. My deduction is that this
picture movement go through some kind of mad loop or else.

I had this very same behaviour on a Windows and on my Gentoo/Linux box, both on
binary package.
I submit only one issue because from my opinion it's the same bug

Similar issue:
I found a similar issue on the forums:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=35605&highlight=picture+table

Document:
My buggy file is quite confidential and I'm trying to recreate one for debug
purpose. I may attach it to this bug when ready.
In the meanwhile, I'm at your disposal for any test or information missing here.
Comment 1 michael.ruess 2006-05-16 10:38:04 UTC
Maybe selecting "Tools.Update.Page formatting" could give the desired result,
because complex documents need some time to be formatted to fit their contents
onto the pages.

Please attach the offending document to this issue, so that we can reproduce and
fix the problem here. You can also send the document directly
(mru@openoffice.org) for the case it contains confidential data. Feel free to
re-open the issue when you've done.
Thanks for supporting us!
Comment 2 timmayle 2006-05-17 18:56:50 UTC
Seems the "Tools.Update.Page formatting" helps a bit, but it's useless when this
100% PCU thing occurs on the file openning.

I also tested the same document on a 2.0.0 version on Windows 2000 SP4 resulting
in the same result.

I was doing something else and was really suprised to see that the 100% CPU ends
like 40 seconds later (machine dependent).

One more point is that this problem occur when I'm doing modification in the
first part of the document but appear less in the end part. This make sens to me.

I'll send you the original confidential file asap and reopenning the issue.
Comment 3 michael.ruess 2006-05-18 13:01:17 UTC
Regarding the 100% CPU load I have filed Issue 65536. It is a different problems
than seeing the objects in a wrong position.
Comment 4 michael.ruess 2006-05-18 13:04:52 UTC
MRU->OD: open the document (it is confidential), scroll e.g. to page 6 - lower
on the page there is an object. Enter a paragraph greak right above the object
-> see it moving in a wrong place on the next page.  Entering another paragraph
break will put it back in a correct position.
Comment 5 timmayle 2006-05-18 13:14:21 UTC
Ok,
I was not totally sure it was the same bug (100CPU and objects not sticking).
I'm glad you could reproduce the problem on your machine.
Comment 6 Oliver-Rainer Wittmann 2006-06-23 13:23:49 UTC
adjust target milestone to 2.x
Comment 7 Mathias_Bauer 2007-12-03 14:48:38 UTC
according to release status meeting -> 3.x
Comment 8 AH 2012-04-04 01:32:21 UTC
Reproduced with 3.3.0 on Windows 7, 3.2.1 on XP.

Bug occurs when below conditions are met:
 - "Allow row to break across pages and columns" is enabled
 AND
 - a single row out of multiple rows in a single table goes over one page
   and the object is anchored "to Paragraph" on the 3rd paragraph (or 4th
   depending on the font size) or lower of the 2nd page
 OR
 - a single row out of multiple rows in a single table goes over more than
   2 pages, all objects with anchor set "to paragraph" on 3rd page and 
   thereafter
 ALSO
 - if the object is a copy of the already affected via above condition

Work around:
 - Set anchor "To Page"
 OR
 - Disable "Allow row to break across pages and columns"
 OR
 - Avoid creating layouts which results in a single row to go over pages


For those who do not know how to control "Allow row to break across pages
and columns"...
 - Place cursor inside the table
 - From the menu bar, go to "Table" -> "Table Properties"
 - Go to "Text Flow" tab of the "Table Format" Dialog Box
 - Check/Uncheck "Allow row to break across pages and columns" and press OK
Comment 9 AH 2012-04-04 01:33:35 UTC
Created attachment 77417 [details]
Created a bigdoc that reproduces the problem
Comment 10 AH 2012-04-04 01:34:15 UTC
a "Bugdoc" not a bigdoc...
Comment 11 Marcus 2017-05-20 11:17:57 UTC
Reset assigne to the default "issues@openoffice.apache.org".