Issue 86787

Summary: Slow context menu if system font list is large
Product: General Reporter: carsten.driesner
Component: codeAssignee: stefan.baltzer
Status: CLOSED FIXED QA Contact: issues@framework <issues>
Severity: Trivial    
Priority: P3 CC: issues
Version: OOo 2.3.1   
Target Milestone: OOo 3.0   
Hardware: All   
OS: All   
Issue Type: PATCH Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---
Description Flags
Slow context menu if system font list is large none

Description carsten.driesner 2008-03-07 07:23:30 UTC
Due to a bad sort algorithm, opening a context menu with the font popup menu
controller can be very slow. The bad sort algorithm should be replaced with a
faster one (e.g. quicksort).
Comment 1 zhoubo.shi 2008-03-12 10:27:44 UTC
Created attachment 52050 [details]
Slow context menu if system font list is large
Comment 2 carsten.driesner 2008-03-12 17:24:26 UTC
cd: Change issue type to patch.

cd: Patch accepted and applied to CWS fwk86.
Comment 3 carsten.driesner 2008-04-17 07:43:14 UTC
cd->sba: Please verify this fix. Opening the normal context menu with the "Font"
entry should be much faster now. To verify this issue you should have several
hundred fonts installed on your system. Some people who complained about this
issue reported that they have more than one thousand fonts installed. Although
this sounds a little bit strange in this scenario the fix should improved
responsiveness dramatically.
Comment 4 stefan.baltzer 2008-05-08 16:51:38 UTC
SBA: I pumped more than 600 Fonts on a Pentium III (500MHz) machine with
Win2000. I could not see any problem in performance of the context menu BEFORE
this fix. Could be that this CWS speeded it up from 0.03 to 0.02 seconds, bu I
can not see a difference
I also tried with >300 Fonts on a Linux machine (all fonts soft-linked) and the
findings were similar. No visible change. But nothing got worse either.

I set this one to "Verified in CWS fwk86" as it does not seem to do any harm.
An Internet-hunt for another 2000+ fonts does not seem feasible right now.

I'd appreciate a comment and scenario from someone who really HAD a problem.

The best would be a verification that the improvement really took place.
Something like "Before: 4 seconds, now < 0.5 seconds" but from "real life", not
from code analysis...


Comment 5 thorsten.ziehm 2009-07-20 14:55:28 UTC
This issue is closed automatically and wasn't rechecked in a current version of
OOo. The fixed issue should be integrated in OOo since more than half a year. If
you think this issue isn't fixed in a current version (OOo 3.1), please reopen
it and change the field 'Target Milestone' accordingly.

If you want to download a current version of OOo =>
If you want to know more about the handling of fixed/verified issues =>