Issue 94891

Summary: Extensions : contextual help does not work anymore
Product: General Reporter: bmarcelly <marcelly.bernard>
Component: codeAssignee: joerg.skottke
Status: CLOSED FIXED QA Contact: issues@framework <issues>
Severity: Trivial    
Priority: P3 CC: issues
Version: OOO300m9   
Target Milestone: OOo 3.0.1   
Hardware: Unknown   
OS: All   
Issue Type: DEFECT Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---
Attachments:
Description Flags
Extension created to test help system in 3.0 none

Description bmarcelly 2008-10-12 07:48:39 UTC
I updated from 2.4.1 to OOO300m9.
In 2.4.1 there was an extension with contextual help.
In OOO300m9 the extension still works, the help may be displayed from the index pane, 
but the contextual help does not work.

In OOO300m9 I installed another extension, same problem.
Comment 1 bmarcelly 2008-10-12 07:50:24 UTC
Created attachment 57130 [details]
Extension created to test help system in 3.0
Comment 2 bmarcelly 2008-10-12 08:01:08 UTC
The above attachment creates a simple extension. Use it with english UI.
After OOo restart you can see a new node in the help tree : "How to write a help".

On a new Writer document you see a new toolbar "Test of the help".
Click on the "heart" button, it starts a dialog from Basic library basTest4. The 
contextual help is defined in this dialog but when you hit F1 the help page is not 
found.
Comment 3 poxi1023 2008-10-13 08:51:13 UTC
Confirmed with OOo3 RC4, on Kubuntu 8.04: contextual help, working in OOo 2.4.1,
does not work anymore! Showstopper?

The only workaround I found is assigning to the dialogs or buttons HelpURL:
"vnd.sun.star.script:odt2pml.ConvertASCII.sbAsciiWizard?language=Basic&location=application"
(from the compiled help page), instead of a defined one, like:
"org.Rup.Xamqon.odt2pml.O1". But that works only for help pages that are
directly linked to some subroutine. Others have no more contextual help...
Comment 4 Olaf Felka 2008-10-13 08:58:03 UTC
@ jsk: Please have a look.
Comment 5 joerg.skottke 2008-10-13 10:58:54 UTC
Confirmed, but this is no stopper for 3.0.
Assigning to AB who made the extensible help framework.
Setting target 3.0.1 (is a regression).
Comment 6 ab 2008-10-20 09:44:38 UTC
After having a closer look, I found that this is no bug. The extension is
wrong, it does not meet the corresponding specification. As described in
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Extensions/Help_Content
in paragraph "Context sensitive help and extended tool tips" a Command URL
has to be used to bind Toolbar items or controls to their corresponding
help pages.

The problem is that "org.Rup.Xamqon.odt2pml.O1" is no URL at all as it
does not meet the scheme "<protocol>:<anything>". Unfortunately in 2.4
this wasn't tested and so also non URLs were accepted. But this was a
bug corrupting other functionality, especially the context sensitive
help inside the Basic IDE (pressing F1 while the cursor is placed on a
keyword/command opens the corresponding help).

To fix this (see http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=90162)
only Help URLs really meeting the URL scheme are considered to be links
to help pages while everything else is used to perform a search. The
workaround works because there a valid URL is used.

So, to solve this problem the extension has to be fixed.

-> INVALID
Comment 7 ab 2008-10-31 13:21:22 UTC
Reopened

As this problem doesn't seem to be exotic (other extension seem to
have similar problems) I had another look and now prefer to accept
at least strings containing . as help URL although they are not
really URLs. The fix of i90162 still works.
Comment 8 ab 2008-10-31 13:34:03 UTC
FIXED, -> cws ab64
Comment 9 bmarcelly 2008-10-31 14:45:10 UTC
I think it is more a problem of ambiguous documentation.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Extensions/
Help_Content
"It's important to choose a unique Command URL, e.g. by following a similar scheme 
like for the extension identifier or to refer to a service implementing the 
functionality."

The scheme for the extension identifier does not request the use of colon character.
Comment 10 ab 2008-10-31 15:01:22 UTC
ab->bmarcelly: Similar, not the same as a URL is required...
But you are right, this isn't very clear. But it's fixed now anyway... :-)
Comment 11 ab 2008-10-31 16:34:16 UTC
ab->jsk: Please verify
Comment 12 joerg.skottke 2008-11-04 12:31:05 UTC
The test extension now brings me to a page called "Writing a help page,
introduction".
Verified.
Comment 13 joerg.skottke 2008-12-08 12:25:54 UTC
Looks good in m12. Closing