Issue 104011 - exporting arabic or urdu to pdf is broken
Summary: exporting arabic or urdu to pdf is broken
Status: CLOSED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: gsl
Classification: Code
Component: code (show other issues)
Version: OOO310m11
Hardware: Unknown Windows XP
: P3 Trivial with 2 votes (vote)
Target Milestone: OOo 3.2
Assignee: h.ilter
QA Contact: issues@gsl
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: 104861
  Show dependency tree
 
Reported: 2009-08-04 20:27 UTC by hussnain
Modified: 2017-05-20 10:29 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---


Attachments
original file with pdf export and png preview of pdf (7.82 MB, application/x-compressed)
2009-08-04 20:38 UTC, hussnain
no flags Details
ODF files + PNG screenshots + PDF results (111.43 KB, application/x-compressed)
2009-08-25 16:09 UTC, thlinard
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description hussnain 2009-08-04 20:27:20 UTC
Composed a document in OO Draw using some otf fonts for urdu from here
http://www.crulp.org/software/localization.htm

In the exported document to pdf man words in urdu are broken and not readable.

Will soon submit the original file and the pdf export.
Comment 1 hussnain 2009-08-04 20:38:15 UTC
Created attachment 63958 [details]
original file with pdf export and png preview of pdf
Comment 2 philipp.lohmann 2009-08-05 10:11:58 UTC
pl->hdu: please have a look
Comment 3 hdu@apache.org 2009-08-05 10:21:10 UTC
Most probably a duplicate to issue 43029. Please check again with a developer snapshot when CWS otf01 
has been integrated (which will probably happen in september).

*** This issue has been marked as a duplicate of 43029 ***
Comment 4 Mechtilde 2009-08-05 21:10:01 UTC
duplicate -< closed
Comment 5 thlinard 2009-08-25 16:09:41 UTC
Created attachment 64373 [details]
ODF files + PNG screenshots + PDF results
Comment 6 thlinard 2009-08-25 16:10:32 UTC
Not a duplicate to issue 43209: I've tested with OpenType TTF fonts (Arabic
Typesetting and Times New Roman from Microsoft Windows Vista) and an OpenType
CFF font (Adobe Arabic from Adobe Reader) on Windows Vista, with the 3.2 special
build for issue 43209.
With OTF-TTF, Mark Positioning ("mark" OpenType feature) is correctly managed by
OpenOffice, but not for the creation of the PDF file.
With OTF-CFF, the display is correct too, but the PDF file is a complete mess.
Font size and borders are not even correct.
See my attachment.
Comment 7 thlinard 2009-08-25 16:12:56 UTC
Oops... I mean issue 43029, of course.
Comment 8 hdu@apache.org 2009-08-26 06:46:54 UTC
Thanks for checking and the new samples.
Comment 9 hdu@apache.org 2009-08-26 06:49:59 UTC
.
Comment 10 hdu@apache.org 2009-08-27 13:14:56 UTC
I just tested the samples you provided. They are very good, thanks!
With the fonts "Simplified Arabic", "Tradional Arabic", "Scheherezade" etc. everything looked fine... can you 
confirm this?

Unfortunately I neither have the font "Arabic Typesetting" nor "Adobe Arabic" that you used in your 
samples to confirm your findings. Would it be possible for you to test them on e.g. Linux too? This could 
help to see if the problem is in our generic PDF-export or in our Windows integration.
Comment 11 thlinard 2009-08-27 18:43:18 UTC
Yes, it's true for Simplified Arabic and Tradional Arabic, version 5.0 (version
packaged with Windows Vista), everything look fine. But not with version 5.92 of
these fonts (version of Windows 7, but tested on Windows Vista).

Times New Roman 5.01 (version 5.0.1, version packaged with Windows Vista) is
already affected by this issue.

Adobe Arabic is included in a free addon to Adobe Reader. Download and install
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/misc/FontPack90_Xtd_Lang.msi

The font is installed in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\Font\

I will test on Mac OS X soon.
Comment 12 hdu@apache.org 2009-08-28 13:30:29 UTC
Now its easy to reproduce the problem, thanks for the links and the exact version names:

The root cause of the problem in the ttf-sample was a signedness issue in the windows integration => 
fixed in CWS vcl105

The root cause of the problem in the otf-sample was the same as above + another problem with a non-
default fontmatrix => TBD (maybe that issue should be split off, maybe in CWS vcl105 depending on 
whether vcl105 will get rebased to a MWS with CWS otf01 integrated)
Comment 13 Mechtilde 2009-09-02 19:30:58 UTC
.
Comment 14 Mechtilde 2009-09-02 19:35:46 UTC
closed wrong issue
Comment 15 Mechtilde 2009-09-02 19:36:23 UTC
set to fixed again
Comment 16 hdu@apache.org 2009-09-07 06:26:27 UTC
In CWS vcl105 I also fixed the other problem with the non-default cff font matrix.
Comment 17 hdu@apache.org 2009-09-07 14:37:08 UTC
@hi: please verify the fix for the first problem in CWS vcl105
The second problem has now been split off into issue 104861
Comment 18 h.ilter 2009-09-10 14:28:48 UTC
Verified with cws vcl105 = Looks good for me.