Issue 109084 - search while in edit mode can cause data to be overwritten
Summary: search while in edit mode can cause data to be overwritten
Alias: None
Product: Calc
Classification: Application
Component: editing (show other issues)
Version: OOo 3.1.1
Hardware: PC All
: P3 Trivial with 2 votes (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
Depends on:
Blocks: 112109
  Show dependency tree
Reported: 2010-02-09 16:57 UTC by Joe Smith
Modified: 2013-12-12 20:22 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---

Sample document for testing and further information (15.99 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet)
2010-02-09 16:59 UTC, Joe Smith
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description Joe Smith 2010-02-09 16:57:35 UTC
Steps to reproduce:

1) Enter "Some data" in Sheet2.A1
   Enter "Xyz 999" in Sheet2.D8
   Enter "Abc 999" in Sheet1.A1
2) Select cell Sheet1.A1, then select the text “999”, either in the cell, or in
the formula bar.
3) Copy the selected text to the clipboard (Ctrl+C).
4) Open the “Find & Replace” dialog (Ctrl+F); don’t click outside of cell A1.
5) Paste the copied text “999” in the “Search for” box.
6) Tick the “Search all sheets” option.
7) Click “Find”.
The search should find cell B8 on Sheet2.

**Note that the contents of cell Sheet2.A1 have been replaced with the contents
of Sheet1.A1.**

The contents of the starting cell are copied to the same address on whatever
sheet the search first lands on. No spurious copy occurs on repeated searches.

The copy (step 3) is necessary to trigger the problem; the paste (step 5) is
not. E.g., in step 5, type the string “Gamma” in the “Search for” box—the
unwanted copy will occur on Sheet3.A1.

In my testing, this occurs in 2.4.2, 3.1.1, and 3.2rc5.
Comment 1 Joe Smith 2010-02-09 16:59:17 UTC
Created attachment 67720 [details]
Sample document for testing and further information
Comment 2 samphan 2010-06-04 09:58:59 UTC
Confirm that the bug can be reproduced in many cases.
Comment 3 hlerdo 2010-09-11 17:33:06 UTC

Along with issue #89232 this is the other one that contributed to the two days
of lost work I mentioned in the other issue's post. So I guess it is one more
case... :-)

Comment 4 hlerdo 2010-09-11 17:34:06 UTC
Forgot to mention:  OO Version 3.2.1
Comment 5 C. Hunt 2013-12-12 20:22:00 UTC
I am running OOo 4.0.1 on Mac OS X (10.6.7) and regularly experience this bug. Glad I found the bug report because it gave me a workaround: Click in an empty cell between the cell copy and paste into the Find dialog when multi-sheet search is selected. I'm still finding corrupted cells because it was several days before I tracked down what was occurring.

OOo Version specifics: AOO401m5(Build:9714)  -  Rev. 1524958
2013-09-20 11:07:55 (Fri, 20 Sep 2013)