Issue 109739 - 3.2 can no longer recognize when a .xls file is in a different format
Summary: 3.2 can no longer recognize when a .xls file is in a different format
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of issue 89332
Alias: None
Product: Calc
Classification: Application
Component: open-import (show other issues)
Version: OOo 1.0.3
Hardware: All Windows XP
: P3 Trivial with 1 vote (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: spreadsheet
QA Contact: issues@sc
Depends on:
Reported: 2010-03-02 14:15 UTC by jhalsey
Modified: 2010-04-22 16:42 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description jhalsey 2010-03-02 14:15:17 UTC
Not positive about the version of Calc I'm running. It's whatever comes with
Open Office 3.2.  

I have a web app that is a part of my company's time entry system. It generates
a report of all the time an employee has entered in a given time period.  The
report also has an export to excel button. Open Office 3.1 always played well
with this feature, but when we updated to 3.2, it no longer works. It gives a
text import dialog box and only displays the html of the web page.

I did some looking into it with different versions of Microsoft Office to see
what I could find out about the .xls file that is actually generated. It looks
like the program just takes the html of the report table and saves it as a .xls.
It doesn't do any converting.  Both 3.1 and Excel 2000 open the file, recognize
that it's in the wrong format and fix it on the fly without saying anything.
Excel 2007 will fix it, but it warns you that the file is not in the specified
format. So you have to click an ok button.  3.2 cannot convert the file.  No
matter what language and delimiter I select, it just puts html into cells, it
never renders the table.
Comment 1 fyva 2010-03-02 18:51:55 UTC
This issue is related to issue 109380 .
Comment 2 jhalsey 2010-03-02 19:19:18 UTC
Thanks for making the connection with the similar issue.  I tried his solution
of using the open with command, but unfortunately it doesn't fix it for me.
Still, it's interesting to see that this isn't just an issue with html
formating, but that it applies to xml as well. 
Comment 3 davidclayton 2010-03-09 10:55:22 UTC
Hi all,

I too have this issue. viewing web based .xls worked fine under 3.1 but now does
not work on 3.2. OO comes up with a text import box. Other users seem to be
experiencing the same.

I will add this issue to the 3.2.1 release track.


Comment 4 davidclayton 2010-03-29 12:33:50 UTC
I think this issue should be closed as a duplicate of 109380.

Comment 5 niklas.nebel 2010-04-22 16:41:46 UTC
The handling of html files with xls extension is changed with issue 89332.

*** This issue has been marked as a duplicate of 89332 ***
Comment 6 niklas.nebel 2010-04-22 16:42:11 UTC
closing duplicate