Issue 115279 - Base un-usably slow when used in conjunction with JRE 1.6.0_22 with accessibility
Base un-usably slow when used in conjunction with JRE 1.6.0_22 with accessibi...
Status: UNCONFIRMED
Product: Base
Classification: Application
Component: code
OOO330m9
PC Linux
: P2 trivial with 1 vote (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: AOO issues mailing list
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2010-10-27 22:51 UTC by domcoop
Modified: 2013-01-29 21:47 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation on: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description domcoop 2010-10-27 22:51:07 UTC
I apologise in advance if posted incorrectly. I am not sure if this is an Open
Office issue, a linux distribution issue, or a JRE issue.

I operated a postgresql database, with a Base file, using the JDBC backend. I
was using Fedora linux distribution, and the official open office release 3.2.0,
milestone 9.

Main use of application was "base forms", mostly including two or three
sub-forms, bound to the main form.

Searching through records was not particularly fast, from record 1 to record 130
of the main form would take around 1 to 2 seconds, with the form then updating
the bound sub-forms, taking around a further 2 seconds. I am aware of the issues
as to why the architecture is designed in this way.

Upgraded the operating system to Fedora version 14 beta. It "updated" the JRE to
"1.6.0_22 with accessibility support".

The application became noticably slower to start up (no exact timings). The
forms were taking around 30 seconds to open, freezing the application during the
process.

Once the form finally opened, to search from record 1 to record 130 went as
follows:-

=> no response for 2 seconds.
=> search record box shows at the bottom the current record as being around 3.
=> no response for 5 seconds.
=> search record box tries to redraw and isn't fully rendered (probably a window
manager issue).
=> search box visible again, shows record 11.
=> freezes again for 3 seconds or so.

ETC.

This renders the application unusable.

Switching to JRE 1.6.0_24 returns performance to previous levels.
Switching to the SDBC connector for Postgresql is slightly faster still (as
probably would be expected, but I hadn't used it previously as it is marked as
"beta" and this is a production environment - a lawyer's practice case
management system).

The matter is compounded because it took me a while to realise that the Java may
be the culprit - I tried upgrading OOO to 3.3.0 - no difference, I tried various
tweaks to the OS.

No doubt this is not a bug, but a feature - but the problem should be resolved
for any other users of Fedora who upgrade (in many cases automatically as distro
version 14 moves out of Beta). Once again, sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Comment 1 domcoop 2010-10-27 22:53:16 UTC
NB can't really submit a file, as the database is not the integrated HSQL, but
an external one, and the base forms and files contain macros which are too
sensitive to be made public due to confidentiality. I wouldn't mind stripping
out the confidential stuff if I had the time and posting it if it would be of
any use.
Comment 2 cscj01 2010-12-19 18:06:44 UTC
I have Ubuntu 10.10 x64 and Openoffice 3.2.1.  I have a MySQL database and am
using JDBC Connector.  I began experiencing this issue after upgrading to Ubuntu
10.10 from 10.04 but was able to resolve it.  The steps I took are given here:
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distributions/4-ubuntu/1266-how-to-install-latest-java-version-in-ubuntu-1010-maverick-meerkat-via-ppa.

I will list them below.

(1) Ensure that Canonical Partners repository is enabled;
(2) Enter the following commands separately from a terminal session:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sun-java-community-team/sun-java6
    sudo apt-get update
    apt-cache search java
    sudo update-alternatives --config java (choose Sun JRE here)
(3) Open Openoffice, choose Tools/Options/Java
(4) You should have two JRE's, 1.6.0_20 and 1.6.0_22; choose 1.6.0_22
(5) Exit Openoffice and Openoffice Quickstarter;
(6) Restart Openoffice.

My performance was back to normal.