Issue 122324 - [SVG] Implement FontEmbedding
Summary: [SVG] Implement FontEmbedding
Alias: None
Product: Draw
Classification: Application
Component: open-import (show other issues)
Version: 4.0.0-dev
Hardware: All Windows 7
: P3 Normal with 2 votes (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
Depends on:
Reported: 2013-05-16 10:43 UTC by Rainer Bielefeld
Modified: 2017-05-20 11:27 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---

Test Kit (24.69 KB, application/x-zip-compressed)
2013-05-16 10:43 UTC, Rainer Bielefeld
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description Rainer Bielefeld 2013-05-16 10:43:50 UTC
Created attachment 80695 [details]
Test Kit

Steps how to reproduce Reproducible with server installation of  "AOO 4.0.0-Dev – English UI / German locale [AOO400m1(Build:9700) - Rev. 1482523 Rev.1482259 (2013-05-15)]" on WIN7 Home Premium (64bit)", own separate user profile:

0. Download / Unzip attached test kits, contains 
   * source odg (same as in Attachment 80602 [details] for Bug 122183)	
   * Sample_with_embedded_fonts.svg, similar to export in above mentioned att.
   * Sample_WITHOUT_embedded_fonts.svg Created due to Bug 122183#C6

1. Open all 3 Documents with AOO
   Expected: Text looks very similar, perfect Text as in source.
   Actual: Sample_WITHOUT_embedded_fonts.svg with satisfying result
           but Sample_with_embedded_fonts.svg very ugly text viewing, wrong
           horizontal distances between characters (first Courier New text
           in word "formatting "m" and "a" even overlap)
           Courier New does look 
           Characters "Arial" look similar to Arial, but are not! For example,
           compare "a" in the documents. In source it looks as it should look
           but in Sample_with_embedded_fonts.svg it looks completely wrong
Comment 1 Rainer Bielefeld 2013-05-16 10:47:26 UTC
Please feel free to divide this one into separate bugs if further research shows that it contains bugs with different roots.
Comment 2 Armin Le Grand 2013-05-16 11:01:37 UTC
ALG: When the SVG contains embedded fonts the rendering is indeed bad, that's because SVG up to now does not support import of embedded fonts.
When breaking the imported SVG the embedded fonts get created (need to check how this happens) and all looks good.
Thus, the problem concentrates on imported SVGs containing embedded fonts which are not broken into draw objects.
Comment 3 Armin Le Grand 2013-05-16 11:01:51 UTC
ALG: Grepping
Comment 4 Armin Le Grand 2013-05-16 13:06:55 UTC
ALG: After some experimentation and debugging I made the ultimate test: I copied some svg:d statements from our exported FontEmbedding to a draw ODF file. This made clear that we export the correct outlines and the correct distances (tspan), but indeed IE and Inkscape do *not* import SVG's embedded fonts.
Thus - all is correct in our export, proved now.

To our import: My SVG import currently does not import FontEmbeddings, this is a missing feature. It does then render that strings with the font "Arial embedded" and "Courier New embedded" with what it thinks matches best. When breaking these objects to SdrObjects somehow the matching again finds the needed fonts (without the 'embedded' ending).

Thus I set this to enhancement and adapt the title accordingly.
Comment 5 Armin Le Grand 2013-05-16 14:53:07 UTC
ALG: One quick thing that can be done for next version: If FontFamily ends with ' embedded' it can be detected as re-import of own SVG export and be removed, that will make the font matching work. This is not really dangerous since no fonts ending with this string are known to me.
Comment 6 SVN Robot 2013-05-16 14:53:57 UTC
"alg" committed SVN revision 1483396 into trunk:
i122324 detect own re-import of EmbeddedFonts and correct font name
Comment 7 Marcus 2017-05-20 11:27:30 UTC
Reset assigne to the default "".