Issue 127047 - Insertion in a .doc file " Name of file without extension " is not mémorized
Summary: Insertion in a .doc file " Name of file without extension " is not mémorized
Status: CONFIRMED
Alias: None
Product: Writer
Classification: Application
Component: editing (show other issues)
Version: 4.1.2
Hardware: PC Windows, all
: P5 (lowest) Normal (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-07-18 10:02 UTC by Behache
Modified: 2016-07-19 15:18 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---


Attachments
Filename field without extension in a .doc file (9.00 KB, application/msword)
2016-07-18 17:10 UTC, orcmid
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description Behache 2016-07-18 10:02:43 UTC
(in french AOo ,is it the same in english ? )

When using a .doc file
 
 " Insertion > Champs> Autres >Nom de fichier sans extension  " is not memorized.

Also when opening again this .doc file " nom de fichier " is displayed " nom de fichier.doc "
Comment 1 oooforum (fr) 2016-07-18 14:37:33 UTC
Better translation to this issue:
Insert > Fields > Other...
"Document" tab and select "File name" type 
"File name without extension" in format area
Content is not saved in .doc format

I have no MS-Word but are you sure that FILENAME field is available with "no extension" option?
If I read Microsoft forums, they say that is not possible.

For me, not a defect for AOO
But, go to Microsoft to submit this enhancement :-)
Comment 2 orcmid 2016-07-18 17:05:54 UTC
In Microsoft Office Word 2016, the only FILENAME field codes are for case and whether or not the full path is shown or not.  There is no control over whether the filename appears without the extension.

There may have been a time when presentation of the extension was also controlled.  If so it is now undocumented or has been removed entirely.

In preserving the use of a field, it is necessary to make adjustments when the document is saved as a .doc instead of .odt -- the OpenOffice options do not align precisely with ones for Microsoft Word.

However, I was able to make a Filename without extension field in Writer and on saving the document as a Word 97/... .doc file, Microsoft Word 2016 opened the file and showed the filename without the extension.

So while this may be deprecated/undocumented in Microsoft Office, it does work.
When I reopen that .doc file in AOO 4.1.2, the field code has changed to the plane one, however, and the extension shows. 

It appears to be the .doc import filter that does not preserve the without file extension case that OpenOffice produces when saving as .doc. 

I confirm the problem.
Comment 3 orcmid 2016-07-18 17:10:04 UTC
Created attachment 85611 [details]
Filename field without extension in a .doc file

This file was produced by Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 with a File name field code specifying without extension.  It will open in Microsoft Office Word 2016 in that form.  However, when this .doc file is opened in AOO 4.1.2, the file name is shown with the extension, even though it was produced properly using AOO.
Comment 4 orcmid 2016-07-18 17:10:30 UTC
I confirm the defect.
Comment 5 Behache 2016-07-18 20:22:12 UTC
(In reply to oooforum (fr) from comment #1)
> Better translation to this issue:
> Insert > Fields > Other...
> "Document" tab and select "File name" type 
> "File name without extension" in format area
> Content is not saved in .doc format
> 
> I have no MS-Word but are you sure that FILENAME field is available with "no
> extension" option?
> If I read Microsoft forums, they say that is not possible.
> 
> For me, not a defect for AOO
> But, go to Microsoft to submit this enhancement :-)

=========Better translation to this issue:
Insert > Fields > Other...
"Document" tab and select "File name" type 
"File name without extension" in format area

FIELD MAME IS SAVED WITH .DOC Extension 

BY AOo (I don't have MS-Word



(In reply to oooforum (fr) from comment #1)
> Better translation to this issue:
> Insert > Fields > Other...
> "Document" tab and select "File name" type 
> "File name without extension" in format area
> Content is not saved in .doc format
> 
> I have no MS-Word but are you sure that FILENAME field is available with "no
> extension" option?
> If I read Microsoft forums, they say that is not possible.
> 
> For me, not a defect for AOO
> But, go to Microsoft to submit this enhancement :-)
Comment 6 oooforum (fr) 2016-07-19 14:17:41 UTC
(In reply to orcmid from comment #2)
> When I reopen that .doc file in AOO 4.1.2, the field code has changed to the
> plane one, however, and the extension shows. 
Not sure about that because MS-Word 2016 use docx as native format.
It convert .DOC into .DOCX before to work. then .DOCX into .DOC after.


(In reply to orcmid from comment #2)
> It appears to be the .doc import filter that does not preserve the without
> file extension case that OpenOffice produces when saving as .doc. 
Or maybe that .doc export filter from MS-Word does not make the deal.
Comment 7 orcmid 2016-07-19 15:18:14 UTC
(In reply to oooforum (fr) from comment #6)
> (In reply to orcmid from comment #2)
> > When I reopen that .doc file in AOO 4.1.2, the field code has changed to the
> > plane one, however, and the extension shows. 
> Not sure about that because MS-Word 2016 use docx as native format.
> It convert .DOC into .DOCX before to work. then .DOCX into .DOC after.
> 
> 
> (In reply to orcmid from comment #2)
> > It appears to be the .doc import filter that does not preserve the without
> > file extension case that OpenOffice produces when saving as .doc. 
> Or maybe that .doc export filter from MS-Word does not make the deal.

There is a misunderstanding.

The .doc was exported with the "without file extension" option from AOO 4.1.2.

It opened correctly in Word 2016.

However, the .doc created in this way from AOO did not preserve the feature when opened by AOO itself.  

So it is clear that importing a .doc that AOO itself created does not preserve the feature, but opening it in Word 2016 does.

It's that simple.

It is also the case that Word 2016 does not provide any obvious way to exercise the feature, even though it honors it.  Whether it exports the feature when it is found in an incoming .doc file was not tested.  I also did not test "compatibility mode" and related choices in Word 2016.