Issue 127647 - 'i' and 'I' cannot be individually used in separate cells (first defined acts as replacement)
Summary: 'i' and 'I' cannot be individually used in separate cells (first defined acts...
Status: UNCONFIRMED
Alias: None
Product: Calc
Classification: Application
Component: editing (show other issues)
Version: 4.1.4
Hardware: PC Windows 10
: P5 (lowest) Normal (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2018-01-07 08:44 UTC by ES
Modified: 2018-01-07 17:23 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description ES 2018-01-07 08:44:13 UTC
Needed a lower case letter 'i' (eye) in a cell.  There was a previously defined uppercase letter 'I'.  Other upper/lower letters could be individually defined whether previously defined in another cell or not by escaping the opposite case letter with an apostrophe (some call it a quote or tick).  The letter 'i' and 'I' (eye) defied this convention.

using OO 4.1.4
Comment 1 ES 2018-01-07 08:55:23 UTC
R
r
*
*
8
8
@

I
I
!
B
b

Of the two (2) 'I's, in the cells shown (copy'd and past'd here from the cells of the simple worksheet can be changed to an 'i' it becomes/reverts to an 'I'.
Comment 2 Marcus 2018-01-07 10:01:03 UTC
I cannot reproduce your report. When inserting an upper "I" into a cell and afterwards a lower "i", then the "i" stays as lowercase.

Please give us a step-by-stap description what has to be done to see the problem. Thanks
Comment 3 ES 2018-01-07 10:37:31 UTC
In the meantime ...
Okay, I tried deleting the entire contents of the spread sheet (had just tree columns).  I then entered an 'i' in several different cells.  The 'i' was immediately converted to an 'I'.

I closed the spreadsheet.  I then opened a new spread sheet.  In cell (1,1) I entered an 'i' which became an 'I'.  I closed OO 4.1.4 and opened an existing spread sheet.  An 'i' entered into any of the several cells I randomly picked was immediately changed to an 'I'

Maybe I have a jinx'd copy.  I am on a measured/metered connection and am about out of bytes.  Won't be able to download a fresh copy until after the 17th of January when I can pay $'s and get a refill of my allowance of bandwidth.

Further messing with the spreadsheet, I did the alphabet all lower case.  The 'i' was the only one to change to its upper case value.  Then I did several 'i's in one cell.  They went uppercase, too.  I got lucky and held pressed CAPS LOCK intentionally and intentionally pressed 'i'.  Guess what?  I got an 'i'.

Here is what it looks like.  All the capital 'I' are really 'i'.  The 'i' shown are a result of initiating the CAP LOCK and holding the Shift key and then pressing the 'i' to get the lower case 'i'.

I have tried other stuff and I do not have this problem.  The problem here, that seems to have started after going from 4.1.3 to 4.1.4 in CALC (spreadsheet).

The spread sheet (copy and paste)
		I		
		I		
		a	A	
		b	B	
		c	C	
		d	D	
I I I I I 		e	E	
		f	F	
lo I		g	G	
lo 'I 		h	H	
I I I I I 		I	I	I 'I
		j	Ii	hi Ii
		k		hi Ii
		l		
		m		
		n		
		o		
		p		
		q		
		r		
		s		
		t		
		u		
		v		
		w		
		x		
		y		
		z		

Here is another thought ... in the copy and paste, the column of lower case letters is missing the 'I' after the paste.  BTW, it did the same thing when I did the past into NotePad.  The 'I' is on the spreadsheet and was copied.  The cells with the apostrophe 'I' was actually an 'i' when I typed it.  So an i becomes an I in my version of OpenOffice.  

Go Figure ...
Comment 4 Patricia Shanahan 2018-01-07 11:53:09 UTC
Please try the following:

Tools - Autocorrect Options - Replace

Scroll down to, and delete, the line that replaces "i" with "I".

Alternatively, also in Tools - Autocorrect Options, go to the Options tab and uncheck "Use replacement table".
Comment 5 Patricia Shanahan 2018-01-07 17:23:42 UTC
(In reply to Patricia Shanahan from comment #4)
> Please try the following:
> 
> Tools - Autocorrect Options - Replace
> 
> Scroll down to, and delete, the line that replaces "i" with "I".
> 
> Alternatively, also in Tools - Autocorrect Options, go to the Options tab
> and uncheck "Use replacement table".

I did my own suggested experiment, 4.1.5 on Windows 10.

A lower case "i" in column A turns into a capital "I". It does this whenever, after any replacement table action, there is an "i" in column A. In my latest experiment, I modified the table to replace "A" with "i", and it turned into "I" in column A.

The problem seems to be somewhat fragile. I did some experiments with deleting and inserting column A, and the problem disappeared at some point. As a result, I do not have consistent data, but I suggest trying inserting and deleting a new column A as a potential workaround.

It is, of course, necessary prevent replacement table conversion of "i" to "I", either by disabling the replacement table or by deleting the "i" to "I" line from the table.