Issue 128068 - Checking for an update failed
Summary: Checking for an update failed
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of issue 127789
Alias: None
Product: Installation
Classification: Application
Component: update notifications (show other issues)
Version: 4.1.6
Hardware: All All
: P5 (lowest) Normal (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2019-03-19 23:50 UTC by judynjima
Modified: 2019-03-28 01:59 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description judynjima 2019-03-19 23:50:41 UTC
I have Open Office configured to automatically download updates, but this is not happening.  When I click on Check for Updates, I get:  Checking for an update failed, AND Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: .  I was getting the same error with earlier versions of Open Office (4.1.5, 4.1.4, etc.).  My connection to the internet is a DSL line provided by CenturyLink (formerly Qwest).  When I download the latest version, it installs properly and everything works fine, except Check for Updates.  I do not know what my be causing this.
Comment 1 Marcus 2019-03-20 21:56:42 UTC
duplicte

*** This issue has been marked as a duplicate of issue 127789 ***
Comment 2 judynjima 2019-03-28 01:59:11 UTC
Just wanted to add what I found out regarding this issue.  Apparently "Check for Updates" requires JAVA to be running.  I was initially using the Edge browser which does not run JAVA.  Later, finding JAVA was not being used, I deleted JAVA.  Still later I tried "Check for Updates" using Firefox.  The error this time was probably because I had deleted JAVA.  A change to "Check for Updates" that does not require JAVA to be running would fix this problem for many users, especially considering the news that JAVA may be going away because of security issurs.