Issue 17188 - Find and Replace doesn't take case of original word in to account
Summary: Find and Replace doesn't take case of original word in to account
Alias: None
Product: Writer
Classification: Application
Component: ui (show other issues)
Version: OOo 1.1 Beta2
Hardware: PC Windows XP
: P4 Trivial with 4 votes (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
Keywords: oooqa
: 17216 25772 37585 88419 (view as issue list)
Depends on:
Reported: 2003-07-21 17:17 UTC by ruiter
Modified: 2013-02-07 22:38 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description ruiter 2003-07-21 17:17:41 UTC
The Find and Replace function doesn't take the case of the original word in to 
account. For example: if you search case-insensitive for "he" and want to 
replace with "she", all the instances of "he" which are written as "He" will 
be replaced by "she" instead of "She".

I think the default should be to replace with the case of the original word. 
(By example for the instances at the beginning of a sentence.) There should be 
an option to choose for the case of the 'replace' word.

Comment 1 Rainer Bielefeld 2003-07-22 16:41:13 UTC
So it is, I can not find any option that would respect the case of the
word to be replaced.

I do not think that it has P3, so --> P4.
I do not think that it is a DEFECT, so --> ENHANCEMENT
I also miss that function in 1.1Beta2, so Version changed

Comment 2 h.ilter 2003-07-23 15:17:55 UTC
Reassigned to BH
Comment 3 ruiter 2003-07-23 16:20:58 UTC
Thanks. I understand. I'm new, so I learn.
Comment 4 ace_dent 2008-05-16 02:39:31 UTC Issue Tracker - Feedback Request.

The Issue you raised has the status 'New' pending further action, but has not
been updated within the last 4 years. Please consider re-testing with one of the
latest versions of OOo, as the problem(s) may have already been addressed.
Either use the recent stable version:
or consider trying the new OOo 3 BETA (still in testing):
Please report back the outcome so this Issue may be Closed or Progressed as
necessary - otherwise it may be Resolved as Invalid in the future. You may also
wish to search for (and note) any duplicates of this Issue that may have
advanced further by checking the Issue Tracker:
Many thanks,
Cleaning-up and Closing old Issues as part of:
~ The Grand Bug Squash, pre v3 ~
Comment 5 ace_dent 2008-06-25 15:12:28 UTC
*** Issue 17216 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 6 ace_dent 2008-06-25 15:14:42 UTC
*** Issue 25772 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 7 ace_dent 2008-06-25 15:18:46 UTC
*** Issue 37585 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 8 ace_dent 2008-06-25 15:22:02 UTC
*** Issue 88419 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 9 cjfrench 2008-06-26 10:43:48 UTC
Still operates incorrectly - June 2008
Comment 10 ftack 2008-10-01 14:40:21 UTC
October 2009: this is an issue that cripples global search/replace functionality
in word processing. It should get a higher priority.
Comment 11 larysahitekschool 2009-04-23 22:27:28 UTC
I can reproduce this malfunction on OOo-dev 3.2.0 DEV300m44.
Comment 12 ftack 2010-04-25 15:54:23 UTC
The priority of this issue should be raised. It is an issue that cripples the
use of global search/replace. After performing search/replace, the user has no
option but to individually lookup the replaced word again to correct
capitalisation (e.g. of instances at the start of the sentence). It defeats the
purpose of automation and of a computer.

It is very disappointing to see such an apparent and reproducible flaw in the
software persist for seven years and more.
Comment 13 bettina.haberer 2010-05-21 14:42:20 UTC
To grep the issues easier via "requirements" I put the issues currently lying on
my owner to the owner "requirements". 
Comment 14 kenney 2012-09-06 17:36:29 UTC

I just came across this 'bug'.

I will call it a bug since the search/replace feature breaks another feature,
being that of the spell-correction, which automatically uppercases the first
letter of each sentence, which purpose is to keep the content correct.

A workaround is to do 2, up to 3 case sensitive search-and-replace actions for a single word. One of the first features of a text editor that was a huge improvement over using paper was the ability to search and replace, to automate repetitive actions.

In short, it should be higher priority. The 'trivial' label does not apply to the importance, but to the effort of implementing it (although looking at the code that may not be entirely accurate ;))

Also, I have some updates to the issue attributes:
- component should be: editing (with effect in gui)
- version: OOO 3.3 (OOO330m20 build 9567)
- Platform: PC Windows 7

Thank you.