Issue 22452 - Export to PDF output cannot be imported by Adobe Reader for Palm OS
Summary: Export to PDF output cannot be imported by Adobe Reader for Palm OS
Alias: None
Product: gsl
Classification: Code
Component: code (show other issues)
Version: OOo 1.1 RC5
Hardware: PC All
: P3 Trivial (vote)
Target Milestone: OOo 1.1.1
Assignee: h.ilter
QA Contact: issues@sw
: 22613 24502 24631 (view as issue list)
Depends on:
Reported: 2003-11-14 07:56 UTC by waiterevo
Modified: 2004-01-27 16:40 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---

Sample Writer document, purely Roman characters (5.16 KB, application/octet-stream)
2003-11-14 09:03 UTC, waiterevo
no flags Details
Testing Writer Document (5.57 KB, application/octet-stream)
2003-11-25 05:04 UTC, waiterevo
no flags Details
Output PDF file after applying the patch (32.60 KB, application/octet-stream)
2003-11-25 05:05 UTC, waiterevo
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description waiterevo 2003-11-14 07:56:01 UTC
To simulate:

1. New a Writer document
2. Type in "This is a testing", typeface as Times Roman
3. Select Export to PDF
4. Open the Adobe (Acrobat) Reader for Palm OS 
5. Try to pick the output file as import source

An error saying "This document is not tagged PDF, and so does not have the 
additional information that would made the document appearance between when 
viewed on the Palm. ... We will attempt to add this information. This requires 
some guessing asto intended way to present the content, so the result may not 
appear as expected."

When confirmed, another error saying "Error converting to tagged PDF: error in 
Comment 1 utomo99 2003-11-14 08:53:28 UTC
Please Attach the documents which make this problem, so we can test
it/faster to confirm.  
(Without the documents, we cannot confirm the problem easily/need more
Don't forget to cut other part of the documents, so the file size is
small, but we still able to see the problem. 
Comment 2 waiterevo 2003-11-14 09:03:39 UTC
Created attachment 11253 [details]
Sample Writer document, purely Roman characters
Comment 3 philipp.lohmann 2003-11-19 17:52:54 UTC
Actually this is a bug inside Adobe's tagging software; nevertheless
since we now with Adobe's help worked out what actually happens and
the fix in Adobe's software is not likely to be available to the
public anytime soon i'll build in a workaround that will not increase
the size of our PDF code by much.
Comment 4 philipp.lohmann 2003-11-19 17:53:24 UTC
Comment 5 philipp.lohmann 2003-11-19 17:54:00 UTC
Comment 6 philipp.lohmann 2003-11-19 17:58:06 UTC
*** Issue 22613 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 7 philipp.lohmann 2003-11-21 10:52:55 UTC
fixed in CWS vcl7pp1r4
Comment 8 waiterevo 2003-11-24 10:49:52 UTC
Can I have an early review? I know how to compile the source.
Comment 9 philipp.lohmann 2003-11-24 11:19:15 UTC
In that case if you have the vcl source code already, you can update
vcl/source/gdi/pdfwriter_impl.[hc]xx to the branch label
"cws_srx645_vcl7pp1r4". The resulting vcl library you can put under an
existing OOo1.1.

If you do not have the vcl code already simply do a cvs checkout to
the above mentioned branch label; the effect should be the same.
Comment 10 waiterevo 2003-11-25 05:02:51 UTC
I have tested the patch. It works for English but not for CJK.
Comment 11 waiterevo 2003-11-25 05:04:31 UTC
Created attachment 11542 [details]
Testing Writer Document
Comment 12 waiterevo 2003-11-25 05:05:21 UTC
Created attachment 11543 [details]
Output PDF file after applying the patch
Comment 13 philipp.lohmann 2003-11-25 10:36:29 UTC
Strange. I'll need to have another look. Thank you for testing this
out. Strange thing is that the original problem had nothing to do with
language specifics at all but only with page structure. So i guess you
uncovered another problem.
Comment 14 philipp.lohmann 2003-11-26 16:58:08 UTC
What's the problem with the CJK-PDF you attached ? It converted fine
for me - no message about a failed conversion.
Comment 15 waiterevo 2003-11-27 02:32:17 UTC
The conversion reported no error but the Chinese characters are not 
properly shown. I have tried other Chinese PDF files downloaded from 
other web sites. They can be properly viewed by my Palm.
Comment 16 philipp.lohmann 2003-11-27 07:39:25 UTC
I created issue 22919 as a followup for this since the chinese display
is another problem than the conversion issue. I set you on CC so you
get notified on progress.
Comment 17 philipp.lohmann 2003-12-12 14:20:47 UTC
target adjusted
Comment 18 philipp.lohmann 2003-12-18 15:03:10 UTC
pl->hi: please verify in CWS vcl7pp1r4
Comment 19 philipp.lohmann 2003-12-18 15:10:50 UTC
Comment 20 philipp.lohmann 2003-12-18 15:11:35 UTC
Comment 21 h.ilter 2004-01-09 15:53:30 UTC
Verified with vcl7pp1r4 = ok
Comment 22 lohmaier 2004-01-18 12:53:06 UTC
*** Issue 24502 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 23 philipp.lohmann 2004-01-21 11:54:41 UTC
*** Issue 24631 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 24 ulf.stroehler 2004-01-22 17:37:39 UTC
Re-verified in resynced cws vcl7pp1r4.
Comment 25 h.ilter 2004-01-27 16:40:17 UTC
Verified with integrated 645m27s1 = ok