Issue 38996 - When spellcheck does not execute, it should tell why
Summary: When spellcheck does not execute, it should tell why
Alias: None
Product: Writer
Classification: Application
Component: editing (show other issues)
Version: OOo 1.1.3
Hardware: All All
: P3 Trivial (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
: 35409 (view as issue list)
Depends on:
Reported: 2004-12-14 20:16 UTC by edn2
Modified: 2013-08-07 14:38 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---

spellcheck resistant file (6.02 KB, application/vnd.sun.xml.writer)
2004-12-14 20:20 UTC, edn2
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description edn2 2004-12-14 20:16:35 UTC
Certain files cannot be spellchecked.  When trying to run the spellcheck on such
a file, the writer acts as if there is some configuration problem.  It presents
a dialog asking if I want to start from the beginning of the document.  If I say
yes, then it says spellcheck complete.  However, the errors remain.

Creating a new file confirms that there is nothing wrong with the configuration
as both red-underlining and spell-checking work on the newly created file. 
Somehow, the other file is preventing spellcheck from operating.

The problem occurs with some files, but not others.  I am not able to
characterize the group of files, but I can provide one that fails under 1.1.3,
1.1.4rc, and 2.0m62.
Comment 1 edn2 2004-12-14 20:20:09 UTC
Created attachment 20517 [details]
spellcheck resistant file
Comment 2 eric.savary 2004-12-15 03:26:42 UTC
ES->SBA: ok, those characters have no language set! but exactly, in this case,
wouldn't it be better to warn the user about this?
ES->edn2: meaning, set the character language (Format - Characher - Font -
Language) to English and everything will be fine! ;)
Comment 3 edn2 2004-12-15 04:37:52 UTC
I see - that solved it, thanks.  So something I did while editing my real
document  (which was edited down to form the test case) must have switched all
the characters to language=none.  I will trace the document back a few weeks to
see what I did ... thanks again.
Comment 4 stefan.baltzer 2004-12-15 12:02:27 UTC
SBA: A better solution would be to tell what happened:
Case 1: Parts of (or the entire document) has language set to NONE
Case 2: Parts of (or the entire document) has languages set that are not installed.
In both cases a dialog should tell that (parts of) the document were skipped and
The fact that the language (defining what spellcheck does) is a character
attribute is not too intuitive. I adjusted the summary.
Reassigned to requirements.
Comment 5 stefan.baltzer 2004-12-15 12:40:01 UTC
*** Issue 35409 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 6 ace_dent 2008-05-16 00:38:58 UTC Issue Tracker - Feedback Request.

The Issue you raised is currently assigned to 'Requirements' pending review, but
has not been updated within the last 3 years. Please consider re-testing with
one of the latest versions of OOo, as the problem(s) may have already been
addressed. Either use the recent stable version:
or consider trying the new OOo 3 BETA (still in testing):
Please report back the outcome so this Issue may be Closed or Progressed as
necessary - otherwise it may be Resolved as Invalid in the future. You may also
wish to search for (and note) any duplicates of this Issue that may have
advanced further by checking the Issue Tracker:
Many thanks,
Cleaning-up and Closing old Issues as part of:
~ The Grand Bug Squash, pre v3 ~