Issue 40133 - Do not Spell check URLs in Documents
Summary: Do not Spell check URLs in Documents
Alias: None
Product: General
Classification: Code
Component: spell checking (show other issues)
Version: 3.3.0 or older (OOo)
Hardware: All All
: P3 Trivial with 8 votes (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: michael.ruess
QA Contact: issues@lingucomponent
Keywords: oooqa
: 19783 53645 55293 56551 (view as issue list)
Depends on:
Reported: 2005-01-07 14:53 UTC by frank.loehmann
Modified: 2013-02-24 20:43 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: PATCH
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---

Three examples of spell-checked URLs (7.41 KB, image/png)
2008-03-13 01:18 UTC, mrtyzik
no flags Details
Proposed patch (488 bytes, text/plain)
2008-05-13 01:11 UTC, rail_ooo
no flags Details
Proposed patch v2 (826 bytes, patch)
2008-05-13 08:20 UTC, rail_ooo
no flags Details | Diff

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description frank.loehmann 2005-01-07 14:53:39 UTC
Does not work according to spec:

section 3.3.3:

"Do not Spell URLs s in
Spelling of URLs in document doesn't make sense, because the words are not
separated and often they aren't natural words at all. Since we can only decide
what we know, we will only except URLs from spelling already
recognized/formatted as URLs and if the URL and the text representation are equal."
Comment 1 andreas.martens 2005-01-17 09:42:24 UTC
If it's not fixed in time for OOo2.0, it should be fixed for OOo2.1.
Comment 2 Oliver Specht 2005-03-07 13:56:43 UTC
os->fme: I tried to solve it by changing SwTxtNode::Spell() but that is not
enough. Also SwScanner::NextWord() has to be changed to treat complete URLs as
one word. But I didn't want to break your code ;-) 
Comment 3 andreas.martens 2005-05-25 13:20:54 UTC
Considering the effort, the priority, the risk and our resource planning I've to
retarget this issue to OOo Later.
Comment 4 ooolist2007 2005-10-19 21:22:04 UTC
*** Issue 19783 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 5 ooolist2007 2005-10-19 21:23:02 UTC
*** Issue 55293 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 6 ace_dent 2006-03-05 11:37:06 UTC
*** Issue 53645 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 7 ace_dent 2006-03-05 11:39:36 UTC
*** Issue 56551 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 8 ace_dent 2006-03-05 11:50:19 UTC
This Issue still exists in OOo 2.0.1RC3. A workaround described in duplicate
i53645, is to mark the hyperlink as having language = 'None', to avoid spell
- Select text
- From toolbar 'Format'>'Character...'
- Then in 'Font' tab (why? Nothing to do with font?) change Language to '[None]'
(First option in list).

From the number of duplicate Issues, the fact this breaks a spec and the Issue
is now over 1yr old, can a target please be set to fix this?

Comment 9 frank.loehmann 2006-03-06 08:57:36 UTC
Set new target OOo 3.0
Comment 10 frank.meies 2006-06-26 07:13:08 UTC
Comment 11 Mathias_Bauer 2007-12-04 16:40:52 UTC
target 3.0 (as fl wanted to set)
Comment 12 mrtyzik 2008-03-13 01:18:48 UTC
Created attachment 52064 [details]
Three examples of spell-checked URLs
Comment 13 kpalagin 2008-04-15 08:05:12 UTC
Are we on track for 3.0 with this issue?

Comment 14 frank.meies 2008-04-15 08:39:42 UTC
fme->kpalagin: I'll try to fix this for OOo 3.0 but don't dare to give you my
Comment 15 rail_ooo 2008-05-13 01:10:53 UTC
Please review this simple patch (one liner :) ). If my approach is OK we can
change the component to sw.
Comment 16 rail_ooo 2008-05-13 01:11:33 UTC
Created attachment 53573 [details]
Proposed patch
Comment 17 rail_ooo 2008-05-13 08:16:19 UTC
Ah, and one line for visited link.
Comment 18 rail_ooo 2008-05-13 08:20:19 UTC
Created attachment 53582 [details]
Proposed patch v2
Comment 19 frank.meies 2008-05-13 08:24:03 UTC
fme->rail: Thank you for your patch. I think we use your patch but we have to
keep in mind that this only works for new documents. I also set the
LANGUAGE_NONE for the CTL and CJK language.

Patch has been applied to cws sw30bf04.
Comment 20 rail_ooo 2008-05-13 13:22:47 UTC
rail->fme: great! Thanks for prompt fix and cws. Changes in sw30bf04 worked fine
for me.
Comment 21 frank.meies 2008-05-19 12:19:16 UTC
Ready for QA. Please note that the fix works by setting the language of the
hyperlink character formats to "none". Therefore this fix applies to new documents.
Comment 22 michael.ruess 2008-05-23 14:58:19 UTC
Verified fix in CWS sw30bf04.
Comment 23 michael.ruess 2008-07-15 10:10:37 UTC
Checked fix in DEV300 m24, but should already be available in OO30_beta2.