Issue 52744 - RTL text left-aligned in install program
Summary: RTL text left-aligned in install program
Alias: None
Product: Installation
Classification: Application
Component: code (show other issues)
Version: OOo 2.0 Beta
Hardware: All Windows XP
: P3 Trivial (vote)
Target Milestone: OOo 3.1
Assignee: Olaf Felka
QA Contact: issues@installation
Keywords: oooqa
Depends on:
Reported: 2005-08-01 14:15 UTC by alan
Modified: 2009-03-26 16:52 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---

First screen of install program in Hebrew (note left-aligned text) (21.69 KB, image/jpeg)
2005-08-01 14:17 UTC, alan
no flags Details
Installer database table with alignment attibute change for Welcome text (25.01 KB, text/plain)
2005-08-09 16:15 UTC, alan
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description alan 2005-08-01 14:15:44 UTC
In the installation program, RTL text is aligned to the left. It should be
aligned the right instead. See attached screenshot.
Comment 1 alan 2005-08-01 14:17:20 UTC
Created attachment 28404 [details]
First screen of install program in Hebrew (note left-aligned text)
Comment 2 Olaf Felka 2005-08-02 10:40:56 UTC
of @ is:Please have a look.
Comment 3 alan 2005-08-09 16:12:59 UTC
ayaniger -> is:
After some research to learn about Windows Installer, I came across a Attribute
for Right-To-Left alignment for Bidi text. It is described in:

In instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_templates/Control.idt,
I tried changing this property just in the text of the Welcome screen. However
it had no effect. Could you take a look at the changed file (which I am
attaching) and let me know if I am on the right track? The text is
Comment 4 alan 2005-08-09 16:15:50 UTC
Created attachment 28596 [details]
Installer database table with alignment attibute change for Welcome text
Comment 5 2005-08-09 16:38:02 UTC
is -> ayaniger: Thank you for your hint. Perhaps the number on the web site you
mentioned is wrong. For Bidi 896 is not correct, but 224 (so it is written in my
books). I tested it for OOO_CONTROL_126 and OOO_CONTROL_127 (the page
InstallWelcome, not AdminWelcome) and it seems to work fine. The text was right
As number I used 65763 (65539 + 224). Using 227 I got a grey background.
This means, we need a mechanism, in which this number is set, dependent from the
installation language. 
Comment 6 alan 2005-08-10 07:26:58 UTC
ayaniger -> is:
Thanks for the help. However, when I tried to change OOO_CONTROL_126 and
OOO_CONTROL_127 to 65763 as you did, I still did not see any change. Could you
attach to the issue or send me directly the file(s) with the changes you made? I
would like to try them out in my environment.
Comment 7 2005-08-10 09:29:11 UTC
is -> ayaniger:
Well, I did not create a new installation set after changing the idt files.
There is a much faster test for this. You can directly edit the msi database in
your installation set. You know how to do it? I use the Orca tool for this,
which is freely available from Microsoft. With this tool you can change the
tables in the database and test this changes immediately. 
I did the following:
Open the msi database with the Orca tool.
Selecting the control table.
Sorting the content of this table in the first column (by pressing header
"Dialog_" of the first column.
Looking for the content of dialog "InstallWelcome".
Changing the attributes field of  control "Textline1" from 65539 to 65763.
Saving the changes, closing the Orca tool.

After this changes and closing the database in Orca (important!) you can start
the installation by double clicking on the msi database. Then the InstallWelcome
dialog appears. In my case the Textline1 is aligned on the right side.
Attention: If you have a multilingual installation set, do not use the setup.exe
in the installation set. This can use a transformation to overwrite your changes
in the msi database. Please double click the msi database directly or start the
installation with "msiexec.exe /i <database.msi>"
Comment 8 2005-08-18 11:27:17 UTC
Setting target
Comment 9 2006-01-04 10:48:44 UTC
Setting target
Comment 10 2006-05-02 11:34:15 UTC
is -> ayaniger:  Have you been successful?  Setting new target.
Comment 11 alan 2006-05-02 12:04:23 UTC
Yes, I've been successful. The changes are available with the rest of the
changes made for the Tk Open Systems Hebrew version of OOo 2.0.1 at:

I'll change the resolutrion to "fixed".
Comment 12 ace_dent 2008-05-17 21:18:33 UTC
The Issue you raised has been marked as 'Resolved' and not updated within the
last 1 year+. I am therefore setting this issue to 'Verified' as the first step
towards Closing it. If you feel this is incorrect, please re-open the issue and
add any comments.

Many thanks,
Cleaning-up and Closing old Issues
~ The Grand Bug Squash, pre v3 ~
Comment 13 ace_dent 2008-05-17 23:21:37 UTC
As per previous posting: Verified -> Closed.
A Closed Issue is a Happy Issue (TM).

Comment 14 2009-01-13 12:56:00 UTC
Reopened, to be fixed in OOo 3.1.
Comment 15 2009-01-13 12:56:54 UTC
Setting target OOo 3.1
Comment 16 2009-01-14 15:35:52 UTC
Reassigning to me.
Comment 17 2009-01-14 15:37:23 UTC
Fixed in cws native218 for Windows Installer and for Java GUI Installer (used
for with JRE for Unixes).
Comment 18 2009-01-27 11:00:44 UTC
is -> of: please verify RTL for Arabic and Hebrew.
Comment 19 Olaf Felka 2009-01-30 13:17:57 UTC
of: I think it's better no in cws native218.
Comment 20 Olaf Felka 2009-03-26 16:52:38 UTC
ok in ooo310-m7