Issue 66384 - WW8: Export from SXW / ODT to DOC loses variables; import ok
Summary: WW8: Export from SXW / ODT to DOC loses variables; import ok
Alias: None
Product: Writer
Classification: Application
Component: save-export (show other issues)
Version: OOo 2.0.2
Hardware: All All
: P3 Trivial with 3 votes (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
: 85546 (view as issue list)
Depends on:
Reported: 2006-06-13 05:38 UTC by kamorris99
Modified: 2017-05-20 11:22 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---

Sample word file - when opened in OOo 2.0.2, variables work (414.50 KB, application/msword)
2006-06-14 00:35 UTC, kamorris99
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description kamorris99 2006-06-13 05:38:46 UTC
As described in 30913 (,
OpenOffice fields do not survive export to .doc (MSWord) format.  They are
converted to plain text instead.

Recent tests (see attached) have shown that variables in MS Word documents
imported into OpenOffice work as intended (they become variables, not plain
text).  I asked my colleague how he created the attached document, and he said
"All I did was re-create all the DocProperties from scratch and re-insert them
where applicable."

Interestingly, if you open the attached document in OpenOffice, you see that the
variables (Customer name, etc) work ok.  But if you save as... .doc (with a
different filename) and re-open in OpenOffice, the variables have been replaced
with text.  We are half-way there, could you please make the round-trip work?
Comment 1 kamorris99 2006-06-13 05:45:10 UTC
Will add the attachment later on - I am waiting for a publicly-shareable one.
Comment 2 kamorris99 2006-06-14 00:35:20 UTC
Created attachment 37136 [details]
Sample word file - when opened in OOo 2.0.2, variables work
Comment 3 michael.ruess 2006-06-14 12:15:34 UTC
Custom Document properties are used in the document; this feature is currently
not supported by OO (see issue 5091), thus they are imported as "User field"
variables for workaround.

MRU->MBA: the export of user fields into variables of WW8 format is currently
not supported by the filter. Currently these are exported as plain text.
Comment 4 kamorris99 2006-06-15 03:05:59 UTC
Ok.  I understand OOo imports the custom document properties from WW8 and
converts them to "User Field" variables.  I've read through the related ticket,
and it looks like some progress was made on this a while ago.

I'd like to request that "User Field" variables in OOo be exported as "Customer
Document" properties rather than as plain text.

Thanks for your help.
Comment 5 michael.ruess 2008-01-28 09:46:16 UTC
*** Issue 85546 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 6 Marcus 2017-05-20 11:22:50 UTC
Reset assigne to the default "".