Issue 66987 - Extremely slow opening of Excel 2003 spreadsheets
Summary: Extremely slow opening of Excel 2003 spreadsheets
Alias: None
Product: Calc
Classification: Application
Component: open-import (show other issues)
Version: OOo 2.0.3
Hardware: All All
: P3 Trivial with 3 votes (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
Keywords: needhelp, oooqa
Depends on:
Reported: 2006-07-04 09:36 UTC by danielf
Modified: 2013-08-07 15:12 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---

Sample file (224.87 KB, application/
2006-07-04 09:41 UTC, danielf
no flags Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description danielf 2006-07-04 09:36:23 UTC
Simple spreadsheets in Excel 2003 xml format, with just around 800-1000 rows
take an extremely  long time to load (around minutes!!)
1 - Open OOcalc
2 - Create 1000 rows with just a number.
3 - Save as excel2003 xml.
4 - Close OOcalc
5 - Open OOcalc
6 - Load the file saved before.
7 - Wait, wait, wait
8 - At some time OOorg refuses to use more than one CPU.
9 - Wait, wait, wait

Testbed: AMD X2-4800+, 2GB

Comment 1 danielf 2006-07-04 09:41:29 UTC
Created attachment 37488 [details]
Sample file
Comment 2 Rainer Bielefeld 2006-07-04 12:01:46 UTC
I checked with "2.0.2  German version WIN 98: [680m5(Build9011)]" and can
confirm problems. I compared time for opening same contents in .xml, .xls, .ods:

File                Load time
'resultado.xml'     20s
'resultado.xls'      1s
'resultado.ods'     <1s

All that with Athlon 3200+, 1 GB RAM
The problem is not as serious as in Linux, but of course very vsible and annoying 
Comment 3 frank 2006-07-13 08:26:54 UTC
Hi Swante,

your construction site ? Do we want to improve it as Excel2003 XML is EOL'ed by
Microsoft ?

Comment 4 venglisch 2006-11-21 21:17:25 UTC
I am creating a workbook programatically (using the 2003 XML spec).  Opening the
file using oocalc ( 2.0.2) with 130 rows opens the document in
about 5 sec.  Opening the document with 140 rows does not open the document at
all.  The process is using 100% of the CPU and runs for over 15 minutes (until I
cancel the process).

Opening the document using MS-Excel works without problems. 
The original of the document I used to test with is a 5 MB workbook.  It opens
in about 25 sec. in Excel with Windows-XP on a Pentium 4, 2.2 GHz machine.
Comment 5 svante.schubert 2007-04-03 15:43:20 UTC
Due to a high amount of other tasks, like Metadata in OpenDocument. This filter
is currently on the very end of my priority list. 
Therefore we need someone else of the community to take this task over.