Issue 97609 - Importing dates into version 3.0 from version 2.4
Summary: Importing dates into version 3.0 from version 2.4
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of issue 97669
Alias: None
Product: Calc
Classification: Application
Component: open-import (show other issues)
Version: recent-trunk
Hardware: PC Windows Vista
: P3 Trivial (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: spreadsheet
QA Contact: issues@sc
Keywords: needmoreinfo, oooqa
Depends on:
Reported: 2008-12-28 05:49 UTC by malachite
Modified: 2008-12-31 09:25 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description malachite 2008-12-28 05:49:29 UTC
I have several dozen files.ods in version OO 2.4 on a Vista laptop that I have
loaded into version OO 3.0 on Vista PC.

In version 2.4 one column records dates in the format MMM YY so that 01/11/1996
is displayed as Nov 96. Most of the dates were entered this way by typing Nov 96.

When the same file is loaded into version 3 all dates are displayed incorrectly.
 In the above case Nov 96 displays as Oct 84 and in the formula box it displays

An adjacent line that displayed Jun 99 (01/06/1999) in v2.4 now displays May 87
(29/5/1987) in v3.0

When I insert a line and a new date in one of these v3.0 files, say Jan 06
(01/01/2006), save the file, close and open it again it reads Dec 01 (31/12/2001).

The ods file has not been changed, simply loaded into the new version, so what
is happening? 

All the dates for my inputed data have been lost.

Apart from fixing the bug is there anything I can do to restore the lost dates?
Comment 1 Regina Henschel 2008-12-28 13:58:45 UTC
I cannot confirm the problem for a German OOo2.4.1 and German OOo3.0.

Please attach a document as it is in the OOo2.4 version.

Are both Vista settings identical on Laptop and PC?

Are the OOo settings in tools-> options identical on Laptop and PC? 

Comment 2 Stefan Weigel 2008-12-30 19:09:27 UTC
Are you sure, this issue is related to opening files from 2.4 in OOo 3.0? Please
have a look at issue 97669. Maybe this is the reason for your problem.
Comment 3 malachite 2008-12-31 01:07:43 UTC
Thanks guys for responding.

I have reviewed in both versions of Vista and OO many settings but in OO Tools >
Options > Calc > Calculate > Date

I found that in version 2.4 it was "12/30/1899 (default)" but in version 3.0 it
was "1/1/1904".  I don't remember setting these options, why they would be
different in each version or what they are for. Nevertheless I have changed the
version 3 setting to "12/30/1899 (default)" and this appears to have fixed the
problem for the majority of files that have not been opened AND saved in the new

With files that I have used they still show the incorrect dates and I guess I
shall have to work out whether it is more economical to revert to the older file
and re-update or to edit the current file.

Many thanks for your suggestions but I didn't know there was such a setting and
I still don't know what it is for.


Comment 4 Stefan Weigel 2008-12-31 09:25:17 UTC
So the problem described here is definitely caused by issue 97669. Since 97669
describes the actual bug and 97609 describes only an effect of this bug, I will
close 97609 as duplicate of 97669.

@Malachite: The different settings for "day zero" are needed for compatibility
to other spreadsheet applications. Also see:

*** This issue has been marked as a duplicate of 97669 ***
Comment 5 Stefan Weigel 2008-12-31 09:25:55 UTC
closing duplicate