Bug 48956 - SSI regular expressions not working
Summary: SSI regular expressions not working
Alias: None
Product: Tomcat 6
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Catalina (show other bugs)
Version: 6.0.26
Hardware: PC Mac OS X 10.4
: P2 enhancement (vote)
Target Milestone: default
Assignee: Tomcat Developers Mailing List
Depends on:
Reported: 2010-03-22 11:48 UTC by Albert Tumanov
Modified: 2012-06-08 12:16 UTC (History)
0 users


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Albert Tumanov 2010-03-22 11:48:29 UTC
I was trying to use Tomcat SSI filter:


While it generally works, I have discovered that SSI regular expressions are not supported.
As much as I can see from tomcat source code, this feature is just not implemented.

For example, those expressions always return "did not match":

<!--#if expr="abc = /abc/" -->matches<!--#else -->did not match<!--#endif -->

<!--#if expr="abc = /[a-z]/" -->matches<!--#else -->did not match<!--#endif -->

This bug is a showstopper for me, because in my application I need SSI regular expressions support.
Comment 1 Mark Thomas 2010-03-22 17:11:42 UTC
Patches for enhancement requests are always welcome
Comment 2 Mark Thomas 2011-06-15 22:43:30 UTC
Fixed in 7.0.x and will be included in 7.0.17 onwards.

I don't see this being back-ported to 6.0.x or 5.5.x.
Comment 3 Maribel B. 2012-04-27 18:54:18 UTC
Hi, I found a bug working with Tomcat, SSI and regular expression that is still unresolved and my work is essential for proper operation:

For example:
<!--#set var="aux" value="aa12" -->
<!--#if expr="$aux=/^aa([a-zA-Z0-9\-_]*)/" -->
        <!--#set var="aux2" value="$1" -->
<!--#endif -->

Resulting value:<!--#echo var="aux2" -->

In a html file works correctly, but when working on Tomcat, a complex regular expression fails, and the page returns nothing from it.

Regards and await your response.
Comment 4 Konstantin Kolinko 2012-06-07 18:24:09 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> Hi, I found a bug working with Tomcat, SSI and regular expression that is
> still unresolved and my work is essential for proper operation:

I do not understand your description. What do you mean by "fails" and what do you mean by "returns nothing"?

Please provide:

1. What are the steps to reproduce your problem

2. What is the actual behaviour that you are observing.

3. What do you expect the correct behaviour to be.

By the way:

1. The actual implementation Regexp matching is in
 in method compareBranches()

2. The feature was implemented by r1136231 and r1136399
3. r1136399 was result of discussion in "Re: r1136231" thread on dev@. In archives:

4. If you can provide a patch for ExpressionParseTree#compareBranches(), it would be faster.
Comment 5 Konstantin Kolinko 2012-06-08 12:16:47 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
I think I understood what you are asking for.
It is a separate issue, so I filed it separately -> bug 53387

I am re-closing this issue as FIXED.