Issue 115708 - Master document drops over-sized graphics in a frame
Summary: Master document drops over-sized graphics in a frame
Alias: None
Product: Writer
Classification: Application
Component: code (show other issues)
Version: OOo 3.2.1
Hardware: All All
: P3 Trivial (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
Depends on:
Reported: 2010-11-22 00:58 UTC by andrew
Modified: 2017-05-20 11:15 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: DEFECT
Latest Confirmation in: ---
Developer Difficulty: ---


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description andrew 2010-11-22 00:58:41 UTC
As of November 21, 2010, this bug has caused a stop on some documentation from
the documentation project. I first became aware of the bug when I saw this
(edited by me) post from Jean Hollis Weber 

When I open the master document, the chapter files appear to load up
correctly. When I export to PDF, the first (automatic) step is to
repaginate, at which point a large random sample of the figures
disappear, making the resulting PDF useless. The pix are still in the
file, because they reappear after closing and reopening (or when I do
various other things), but every time I export to PDF, some disappea

The same thing happens if I export to ODT, unlink the chapter files
(thus embedding them), and then work with one big ODT.

I've tried changing my memory settings in a way that solved a similar
problem previously, but it's not helping now.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? And better still, how to fix
it? I'm using OOO3.3RC4 on Ubuntu 10.10, but the same things happens
with the OOo3.2 that comes with Ubuntu. I have not tried this on any
version of Windows.

The files are here, conveniently zipped into one file:

Or you can go to the folder and download them one at a time.
Comment 1 andrew 2010-11-22 01:18:24 UTC
OK, so I cannot attach the files because they are too large, sorry about that.

Many people have spent many hours tracking this issue. I determined the following:

Open the Master document and everything looks fine. Use Tools > Update > Update
All to perform a full update / refresh and images disappear (Many images from
Chapter 3, for example).

Removing the frames fixes the problem, but, for certain Documentation output
methods we really require the frames. The important take away is that this
appears to be related to the graphic in the frame.

Now, edit chapter 3. I noticed the following characteristics:

* All graphics are anchored as a character.

* While editing chapter 3 directly, graphics visible in the master document
provide the option to anchor the image to the frame, those that are not visible
in the master document do not include Frame as an option.

* Graphics not visible in the master document use some variation of a percentage
on the width (rather than a fixed amount) or using "auto-size".

Using the following steps causes the image to become visible:

1. Use the Picture dialog (double click on the figure) and set "Keep Ratio", do
not check "autosize" or "relative". Set the size just a wee bit smaller (by say
0.05 inches)

2. Verify that the picture is in its own paragraph anchored as a character (and
it should be) and then set the paragraph style to "OOoFigure", which it should
already be, but, it is not. The result of this is that the figure is centered in
the frame so that no part of the image touches the left or right edge of the
frame. For a bit, I was manually resizing the frame, but, before I knew it, My
development version of OOo was crashing, so, I stopped that.

That should do it. Refresh the Master document and the images appear. So, it
seems that this is somehow related to image size in the frame.

Comment 2 T. J. Frazier 2010-11-22 01:54:21 UTC
When I tried this on WV under v3.2.1, the resulting PDF had a number of blank
pages in Chapter 1, where text should be. That was disappointing enough that I
quit looking for missing pictures.

The zipped file is about 8.8 MB. If it is not accessible from the link in Desc
1, we (OOA) will fix that.
Comment 3 Oliver Specht 2010-11-22 06:45:27 UTC
Reassigned to od
Comment 4 jeanweber 2010-11-28 06:49:07 UTC
This problem does not occur in the master doc for the Impress Guide. The Impress
Guide files use the same template as the Getting Started files, and the IG
images are in frames and anchored in various ways, as in the GS files. Perhaps
comparing the two may give a clue as to the problem?
Comment 5 jeanweber 2010-11-28 10:46:58 UTC
I have now produced an ODT of the Getting Started guide that exports to
PDF as it should, without losing figures. Here is what I did: 

The original file has hidden sections in it that contain the copyright
pages and TOCs of the chapters. I "unhid" those sections and then
deleted them from the file. In addition, I deleted the hidden paragraphs
with the book name from the title pages of the chapters. Then all was

Please note that the Impress Guide, which does not have the disappearing image
problem, does have the same hidden sections in it.
Comment 7 Martin Hollmichel 2011-03-16 11:44:44 UTC
set target 3.x since not relevant for 3.4 release.
Comment 8 Marcus 2017-05-20 11:15:22 UTC
Reset assigne to the default "".