Issue 126762 - Analysis+solution: Damaged "registrymodifications.xcu" causing problems with backups and spell checker
Summary: Analysis+solution: Damaged "registrymodifications.xcu" causing problems with ...
Status: ACCEPTED
Alias: None
Product: General
Classification: Code
Component: spell checking (show other issues)
Version: 3.4.1
Hardware: All All
: P2 Major (vote)
Target Milestone: 4.2.0
Assignee: AOO issues mailing list
QA Contact:
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2015-12-30 16:28 UTC by Marcus
Modified: 2017-10-18 22:42 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: PATCH
Latest Confirmation in: 4.1.2
Developer Difficulty: ---


Attachments
Proposed patch to ignore dictionary not exit in the specified location (2.00 KB, patch)
2016-01-17 17:47 UTC, hanya
no flags Details | Diff

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this issue.
Description Marcus 2015-12-30 16:28:49 UTC
+++ The current "solution" for the typical spell checker issue is to re-create the AOO user profile and linking to issue #121930. But now this issue should be used for documenting the analysis and finding a fix. +++
Comment 1 hanya 2015-12-31 15:08:33 UTC
In SpellChecker::getLocales method, list of registered dictionaries is taken from 
the configuration registry. 
But the existence of the dictionary file is not checked in the list. 
Do not register locales for non-exist dictionary files to make hasLocale method 
returns correct locale information.

To reproduce the all wrong spells, find dict-en.oxt directory in your uno_packages 
directory and rename the directory to the different name. 
In this state, the configuration variables are still living in the configuration backend. 
Therefore, only the registration of the dictionaries is living but the registered dictionaries are gone.
Comment 2 hanya 2016-01-17 17:47:56 UTC
Created attachment 85254 [details]
Proposed patch to ignore dictionary not exit in the specified location

Check the location of the dictionary before to add the related locale to the list of supported locales.
This patch provides the way to avoid empty dictionary which marks all words as wrong.
Comment 3 Kay 2016-01-18 17:29:09 UTC
Hanya -- thanks SO much for this patch, and I will test it later today.

 What platform(s) has this been tested with? The reason I ask, is that recently, it's mostly its Windows users that are experiencing this problem.
Comment 4 hanya 2016-01-19 16:03:39 UTC
(In reply to Kay from comment #3)
>  What platform(s) has this been tested with? The reason I ask, is that
> recently, it's mostly its Windows users that are experiencing this problem.
Xubuntu 14.04 Linux 64bit.
You can imitate the problem with the procedure written in Comment 1, if you need. 
But real broken user's profile is the best environment to test the patch.
Comment 5 Kay 2016-01-20 23:06:07 UTC
Following your instructions on how to reproduce for my Linux-32 environment, I verified that your patch does fix the underlining every word spell checker problem. Please commit your change when you're ready. And thanks again for this work. Changing to ACCEPTED until we get additional confirmation from a Windows builder.
Comment 6 Kay 2016-02-11 22:09:47 UTC
SVN patch committed: r 1727441
Comment 7 orcmid 2016-02-12 00:32:24 UTC
Upgraded from DEFECT to PATCH.  Still pending against a Windows build.
Comment 8 Kay 2016-09-23 21:14:26 UTC
Status update on this one?
Comment 9 John 2016-10-08 08:57:34 UTC
I will be happy to test any patch on Windows 7 - just tell me where I can download the build.

Also see Issue 127157 - Styles and Formatting window does not open - apparent cause is corrupted registrymodifications.xcu file, where I uploaded the corrupted registrymodifications.xcu file.  The causes may be related.

Spellchecker problems solved by rebuilding the profile were reported as one of the items in Issue 126846 - Analysis Task: Major Recurring Data/Operation Loss/Corruption Situations
Comment 10 oooforum (fr) 2017-10-18 15:46:39 UTC
(In reply to John from comment #9)
> I will be happy to test any patch on Windows 7 - just tell me where I can
> download the build.
https://www.openoffice.org/download/devbuilds.html
Comment 11 John 2017-10-18 22:42:54 UTC
(In reply to oooforum (fr) from comment #10)
> (In reply to John from comment #9)
> > I will be happy to test any patch on Windows 7 - just tell me where I can
> > download the build.
> https://www.openoffice.org/download/devbuilds.html

I downloaded AOO420m1(Build:9800)  -  Rev. 1812293 Rev.1812293 on 18 October and can confirm that it installs OK on Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit and runs properly.  Please let me know if there are any specific tests you would like me to do.

I experienced the following - I do not know if this means it is working as expected:

1.  I have 4.1.3 installed for all users so, hoping to isolate the 4.2  installation, I created a new user on the PC called Test.

2.  User Test downloaded and installed 4.2 just for Test and NOT for all users.

3.  At the "Install for all users / Just for me" screen during installation, the Name field was pre-filled with John, which is the name of the other user on the PC.  I changed it to Test and continued. The installation was successful and AOO opened with a German User Interface. 

4.  When I switched back to User John, the icons and Start Menu items for AOO 4.1.3 had disappeared.  When I ran C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.exe I found that User John's 4.1.3 had been upgraded to 4.2 and the User Interface was now in German.  

I would like to suggest that the Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Memory > Graphics cache ..., be increased from 20 MB to, say, 200MB as the default.  20MB seems very small for today's PCs.  I am almost certain that LO now uses 200MB as default.